6mm Remington conversion

Wizard

I want to get a long range coyote rifle and have pretty well decided on a 6mm Remington AI. What base calibers should I get to be able to easily put a new 6mm AI barrel on it? Would a 243 work or does it have a long enough ejection area? I want a clip fed rifle so that would be an issue as well. I want to shoot the heavier bullets to buck the wind better. Sorry for the basic question but I have never done this before and I want my first conversion to go as smoothly as possible. The new Savages are nice, so that is what I want to convert. I have reloaded for over 30 years so that is not an issue, regarding the caliber. I would like to start with a good varmint caliber so I would have the option of switching between the calibers. Any help would be appreciated.

Wizard,
The 6mm Rem. A/I should make a terrific, long-range coyote rifle. The parent case of the 6mm Rem is the 7x57 Mauser, which is longer than the 7.62 NATO case, (parent of the .243 Win, .308 Win, .260 Rem, ect.) and it is shorter than the 30-06 case (270 Win, .280 Rem, 25-06, ect.). This sorta makes it an in-between length cartridge. It will work perfectly well in a 30-06-length action, but not so easily in a short action receiver. IMHO, since you want a repeater, I would consider starting out with a long action to avoid the hassles. Good luck with your project, keep us posted with your progress.
Dave

Remington builds their 6mm on their short action receiver. The same one that they use for a 22-250, 243, or 308. As mentioned earlier, the 6mm Rem is a round that could be built on either a long or short action & work fine.
I have looked at a couple of older model 110 Savages in 243 & the action looks like it is longer than a standard short action. If that is not the case & you want to go with a long action, you might want to look at a 25-06. Another option might be to have a 6mm-06 or a 6.5mm-06 barrel & be able to change between them.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.