6mm remington brass help

I sold my 6mm rems, but what i did learn believe it or not is winchester 6.5 x55 brass can be resized to work and works great due to its slightly smaller rim size. That being said i have some r.p. 6mm brass if you need, probably 50 pieces some unfired( pull downs) and most once fired.just pAy shipping or if you promise to send brass to another member if they need, i will ship them free. Once i learned the swede brass trick i used them exclusively. This is not something a brand new hand loader should Go after until you get the sizing down pat. Regards.

Hello everyone, I need some Help. I'm brand new to reloading, reloading for my 6mm Remington because I live in California. That means I can't find ammo for it, never mind lead free. So my first batch of 60 rounds, once fired brass from my rifle, came out pretty good and shot better than the factory loads I have for it. Still need to tighten them up a bit. The problem I'm having is that I bought some once fired brass from a local reloading store and didn't realize they had a weird ring near the base of the case until after i cleaned them up. So I went through the process clean, full length resize, measure, trim etc... I thought the full length resize would take care of the ring. So I went ahead and loaded up about 50 rounds and they will not chamber in my rifle. I've also got about 90 cases I didn't load up...luckily. What can I do about this problem, can it be fixed and more importantly what is it? View attachment 122573 View attachment 122577

Shamu, just curious since you've received the numerous suggestions, have you tried running your resizing die down to touch the shell holder and resizing some brass to see if it fits your chamber or gets rid of the ring in your photos?

I sold my 6mm rems, but what i did learn believe it or not is winchester 6.5 x55 brass can be resized to work and works great due to its slightly smaller rim size. That being said i have some r.p. 6mm brass if you need, probably 50 pieces some unfired( pull downs) and most once fired.just pAy shipping or if you promise to send brass to another member if they need, i will ship them free. Once i learned the swede brass trick i used them exclusively. This is not something a brand new hand loader should Go after until you get the sizing down pat. Regards.
Hey thanks for the offer, Im good
Hope this helps and it does not cause you excessive concern over this problem. The best die to get to resize cases once formed in another chamber is a SB or small based die meant to be used in automatic rifles.These squeeze the case down when FL sizing to absolute minimum chamber specs and then all these cases should fit your present chamber. Once fireforned, then use your regular dies so the cases fit your chamber correctly.
Look closely at this ring. Do you have any of the cases where the "ring" is brighter? It may be ,as some have stated this may be in indicator here ofa case being resized in a die. That's is the good possibility. The bad one would be they may be fired in a large chambered weapon and maybe an automatic, which is why they were sold in the first place. If that is indeed the situation here, you may be looking at the first stages of a problem known as incipient case failure where the case separates in two pieces when firing or when you go to extract the cartridge and only the back third comes out of the chamber. That has happened to me. The brighter the ring the thinner the case is at that juncture. If its been fireda few times this way, you can takea wire with a small angle to fit inside the neck and havea sharp point. Insert it into the case and feel down the sides of the case. When you reach the point of the bright ring the point may run into resistance because the case is thinning at that juncture. if indeed that is the case, then you know why these cases were sold. The former owner encountered the problem with his weapon due to bad headspacing and when a case separated is when he placed all this brass up for sale. I wish you well in solving this problem and hope its only a case of the brass marks caused by a sizing die. The 6mm-.244 is the favorite cartridge I have in the 6mm caliber.
I'll give this a try and see whats going on inside the case, thanks for the help.

Shamu, just curious since you've received the numerous suggestions, have you tried running your resizing die down to touch the shell holder and resizing some brass to see if it fits your chamber or gets rid of the ring in your photos?
Yea I gave that a shot and it didn't do anything. I started from scratch and re-set the die just to make sure it was all set. I then tried making very small adjustments to the die to see if i could make any difference in the case and nothing has worked.

Did you try to see if yur resized brass fit yur chamber ,Very Most important step , everything else is based on your brass fit in your rifles chamber .

Yea I gave that a shot and it didn't do anything. I started from scratch and re-set the die just to make sure it was all set. I then tried making very small adjustments to the die to see if i could make any difference in the case and nothing has worked.

What exactly are you doing when you're making small adjustments to your die? What are you adjusting? What die are you adjusting? It would be good if you could give some feedback on what you've done and the results.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.