6mm remington help

Akkill

hello guys i have a remington 788 in 6mm remington and im goin to start reloading for it, but need more info and any advice on this caliber, the rifle is a factory rifle and i need to develop some loads for deer hunting out to 300 yrd. max. so i would like to know what bullets, primers and powder to start whit.

i have some new winchester cases.

I have had good results with Imr or H 4350 in hunting weight bullets(95 and 100gr) and H414 or H4064 with the light varmint weight bullets. My last load I hunted with was with 95grain nosler ballistic tips and Hodgdon H1000 powder. I don't remember how many grains of powder, but you can find it on their site. It was a compressed load which grouped well and had very consistent velocity. I have shot deer with 100 grain nosler partitions, sierra boat tails, and some early barnes bullets way back when. With good shot placement all will work well, the partition held together when best you hit heavy bone. I shot a deer at 400 plus about 15 years ago and took him with one shot through the lungs. It's a great caliber for varmints to deer, and for young shooters as well.

I load 43.5grs of IMR-4350 for 100gr Nosler Partion,Hornady Spire Point and it works well for 105gr Speer SP.

Be sure and check the twist rate before you select a bullet.

Some of the 6mm Remington's have a 1 in 12 twist and it is suitable for the lighter bullets only.

If you have a 1 in 10 twist then it will shoot the heaver bullets and still shoot the lighter ones
also.

A 1 in 9 or a 1 in 10 is preferred in the 6mm rem.

J E CUSTOM

nice, what primer are you using i`ll check the barrel twist but i believe it`s a 1-9

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.