6mm Rem twist/bullets

cinch

I have a new 6mm VLS I need to get shooting. Will the 107smk and 105 Berger shoot in this gun? If not, what is a good long range bullet for game? What is the twist on a factory 6mm? I will be using it on everything from praire dogs to deer.

They may or may not stabalize. The only way to find out is to shoot them. The twist in your gun is either 9 1/4 or 9 1/8. Savage is one and Remington is the other but I can't remember which is which.

If neither of these will shoot I would try the 95 gr Berger. If it won't shoot, the 87 gr Vmax would be the way to go.

Good luck!!

Look at the 95 berger. Its what im shooting... and I could shoot the 105 and 107gr bullets. The differance in wind drift is almost nil, and you can drive it faster than the others. Run the #s and see for yourself.

I agree with Abinok. I am shooting the 95gr Bergers out of my Savage 12FV 243 and I now shoot it more at my 700 yard gong than my Custom 7STW. The bullets shoot very well. If the wind is not blowing here today I will try to shoot a group and post it. It is quite common for me to shoot less than 1/2inch groups at 200 yards with them. The gun has been bedded and 1.5lbs added to the butt. I shot a white tail buck with them at 424 yards. I hit him in the shoulder and the bullet made it to the off side skin. He ran about 20 yards on three legs after the shot and then stopped. I knew he was done by the way he was having trouble standing, he went down within a minute and he did not get up.

This being said I used to shoot a Remington 6mm VLS in a VS stock. I could not get it to shoot anything heavier than the 87gr V-max accuratly. So to the suggestion of a few on this site I now have a Savage (or a couple) that I have come to enjoy too much. I don't leave home with out it.

Warning! This thread is more than 18 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.