6mm Rem. Ackley .272" neck

7ultra

Just a few questions about this cartridge. First, does anybody have this one chambered. If so, what length action and barrel did you use? In terms of the tight neck, could someone walk me through the advantages of it on this cartridge? Last two questions, have you guys used the 6 Rem on deer (what bullet, how did it perform) and how much potentional does this cartridge have to be a longer range (600+) TARGET rifle. Thanks for your time

I shoot a Rem 40X that first had a 27 1/2 inch 1 in 12 twist 6 Rem tube. Have a friend with a 6 AI and wasn't impressed by the difference due to fireforming and additional neck turning. Did a year of target and P-doggin and found it to be awesome, but it wouldn't handle anything heavier than an 85/87 grain bullet. Found that by shooting a 6.5/284 and using a ballistic calculator that the bigger heavier bullet is better because of the wind. That said I rebarreled with a Hart in 6 Rem in a 1 in 8 twist to shoot the 105 Lapua and 107 Sierra's. What I found was that even in a decent wind, the 70/75 grain ballistic tip style bullets and their greater speed in actual use seem better to 650 yards or so. The big bullets also recoil more and seeing your impact's isn't very easy. Using the Berger VLD's or the above 105/107 bullets extreme accuracy was obtainable to beyond 1200 yards. The 6 Rem is generally under rated by the shooting public, but not by real shooter's with experience who consider it to be the best 6mm cartridge. The bigger wildcats (6mm - 06, 6/284, 240 Weatherby) will burn out without really doing anything better or signifigantly faster! Enjoy your project.

[ 09-29-2004: Message edited by: 308sako ]

I had a 6mmAI for quite awhile. Mine was built on a 40x short action and had a 26", 12 twist Hart barrel.

I had no problem killing varmints out past 600yds with this rig and 70gr B-Tip bullets. Even the 55gr bullets shot very well and I killed hundreds of groundhogs with it.

I had a tight-neck chamber. Presumably, if you tailor your ammo for the tight-neck chamber properly, you will get greater consistency in the ammo, cases should load more concentric (better chamber fit), accuracy should improve and cases should last longer. I favor tight-neck chambers in all of my precision long range rifles. In production grade rifles or for use at moderate distances the tight-neck would be a useless waste of time and effort, IMO anyway.

Although a target/varmint rig is normally unsuitable for use as a deer rifle, the 6mm is certainly plenty of cartridge.

Here is a link to a site that will give you lots of insite on the 6mmAI.
Mike's 6mmAI Page

Have one it's a K&P barrel with 1/10 twist 26" long use it as an antelope rifle my other one I used a Pac-Nor same twist and lenght as the other rifle just working up loads for that rifle now. These rifles were build for hunting so don't consider they as target rifles they are on 700 long actions. As to tight neck rifles etc it hard to say how much effort another person is wanting to put into getting those small groups it's alot more than just turning necks so trying to walk someone through can be a very time comsuming project. I'd get some copies Precision Shooting Volume 1 and 2 they really go over neck turning,neck tension, bullet jump, bullet distortion etc.

7ultra,
My rifle is quite a bit like Varmint Hunters
, a 26" Hart 12" twist. Man how I wish it was
an 8" twist,It shoot's 70 gr bal. tip's at
3900fps but would be more what I need if it
shot sierra 107MK's at 3200fps
B

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.