6mm bullets/ 10 twist

Lime Dawg

Having taken the plunge and decided to start reloading (I'm a total reloading novice) I'm looking for advice as to which bullet to use. I have a Cooper Varminter which has a 10 twist barrel in which I've been shooting factory Remington ammo loaded with 90gr Sciroccos. These have proved to be very accurate but hellish expensive. I would like to shoot mainly targets with the bullet I choose but I'd also like to be able to use it for hunting deer sized game. From my research I've chosen 6 possibles which do you think would be best?

Berger 88gr LD
" 90gr
" 95gr VLD (too heavy?)
Lapua Scenar 90gr (unreliable expansion?)
Sierra Gameking 85gr
Swift Scirocco 90gr

In an ideal world I'd stick with the Sciroccos but at $47 per hundred they're nearly three times as expensive as the Gamekings. I did try 100gr Partitions but my rifle didn't seem to like them so this is why I've stuck with bullet weights around 90gr.

don't want to mash toes but!!
25,000.00 hunting vehicle check
1500.00 cooper check
900.00 leupold check
10 cent bullet check

any thing seem outa place here????

Hunting vehicle $2700
Cooper $1513
Zeiss Scope $400
Rings, cleaning gear, case, sling, reloading gear $lots
Bullets 0.17c-0.47c

All I'm asking for is an opinion on my bullet choices.

10-twist

I shoot a 95 grain VLD Berger in my 6x284 with a ten-twist barrel, and it is fast, accurate and has the best BC of the bullets you've listed.

Have you tried these on game Gary? I like what I've read about Berger bullets but I need someone with more experience to validate my choices before I invest a whole $25 in a box of bullets. I'm such a cheap s.o.b. LOL!

Try the 87 gr. Hornady V-max. BC of .400 and works well in a 1 in 10. 43 gr of H4350 and 210M's gives me 3120 and sub moa groups. Have killed prarie dogs at 50 yards to 720 yards with reliable expansion on both ends of the spectrum. Killed a doe antelope at 260 yards this year and it took out the tops of both lungs and severed the spine in the process. It is not too "violent" for antelope or deer. I would stick to broadside rib shots though.

I think I'll try some 95 grain Bergers and I'll try the Gamekings as well. I'll see how these go with my novice reloading skills.

87 grain V-Max at 3300 fps on my 6MM Remington Custom Mauser with 28"-10 twist Shilen Match.

3 and 5 shot group at 100 yards

IMGP0506.jpg

The only thing that worries me about the V-max is that they may be a little too explosive for my needs. Although my main target will be paper I'd hate to wound a deer due to lack of penetration. That's some good shooting BTW.

so what your saying is you need another gun one for paper one for game ?
make your gun versatile an make up two different type loads if thats what you do..
here is a little info you mite use onpicking a bullet..

6mm/.243 8" Special for VLD bullets over 100 gr.

10" For bullets up to 120 gr. and VLD under 100 gr.
12" For bullets up to 85 gr.
13"* For bullets up to 75 gr.
14"* For bullets up to 70 gr. 15"* Special for bullets up to 70 gr.

New Sierra 90gr

Hi Sierra has just released a 90gr MatchKings just for 10 twist barrels and long range shooting.

So my vote 90gr Sierra MatchKings

Cheer Bill
Australia

Anyone seen any of these 90gr Matchkings for sale yet? They don't seem to be listed on Sierra's site yet.

6 mm 1 in 10' twist

i have shot the berger 88 out a 1 in 12( hart); the berger 95 out of a remington( 1 in 9 1/2) with good results on paper. i have never shot a deer with them. i have shot 18 mule deer with a sako ( 1 in 10) and 85 sierra bthp; 3 with the 100 grain horn btsp and 4 with 95 nosler partition. it does not say where you live . how big are the deer where you hunt?? the deer i shot were less than 140 pounds dressed.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.