105gr 6mm Amax and 1-10 twist???

Mysticplayer

Anyone try this combo? Wondering if the 1 in 10 twist will stabilize this bullet out of a 243 win (3000fps).

Appreciate the feedback...

Jerry

Howdy, Jerry

I have not tested that particular bullet in such a twist, but I might be able to give you some extra cards to deal in; 3000 fps isn't exactly blistering, but it's reasonable--it's a little less than 200 fps more than I can push a 95gr VLD from Berger out of a 27" tube. I'm sporting a 1:9.33" twist. Walt Berger told me from his calculations and my parameters <which were odd, in that I asked about low velcocity {i.e. 2500 fps MUZZLE speed}, and cold temps <around 5 above to 30 above, F, with a max speed of 2900 fps> a 1:9.5" twist was optimum for that bullet. If he was right, then I would say the 1:10" might stablize your little 105 gr jewel, but longer range performance would be a bit iffy. Depends on the temps, air density, all that fun stuff you all ready are up to speed on <or more-so than me>.
grin.gif
Anyhow, if I were in your shoes, a 95gr VLD shaped bullet would be as heavy as I'd venture, and even then you're taking a slut to the bar, so to speak.. But you know, I've noticed a lot of folks on various forums asking that VERY question lately; has someone had success with that combo that I don't know about??

Dave

Hi Jerry.

The 105 Amax will not stabalize in a 1:10" trust me, it will drive you crazy. The 95 Berger VLD will stabalize, but only at low velocities in my rifle. I tried numerous loads and had shotgun pattern groups and some key holing. This was from my F-Class gun chambered to 6mm Remington. The only way I could make the 95 Bergers work is if I slowed them down to about 2800 FPS, then all bullets were touching, but this was not fast enough to work well out to 1000 meters.

The only bullets that seemed to shoot well at high velocities were 95 grain Noslers, but again, these were not accurate enough to be competitive at 1000 meters. I now have a Lilja 1:8 3 groove at 30" ready to install. Thinking 6-284 with 107 Sierra or 105 Amax.

Good luck.

Sheldon, hoping that you were not going to say that. Have a friend that wants to build a 243 for clay plinking and hunting. The best bullet for cost/performance is the Amax.

Oh well, he can always use the 87gr Vmax.

Surprised, that the 95gr VLD had to be slowed down so much. You would think that with a slower twist, you could push them faster before they distorted. Have you considered a slower powder? What powder are you using now?

I found that sometimes the slower pressure curve can keep bullets from distorting during the trip down the barrel. With our longer barrels, vel is still good and brass life is great. Besides, 2800fps from a 6mmRem is disappointing. Would consider 3100 to 3300fps to be about right.

In my 6BR, I was getting all sorts of pressure and accuracy problems when using H322 and the 87gr Vmax. With the 70gr bullets, the H322 was a wonder, but with the slightly longer bullet, no go. I would get wonderful accuracy only at 2700fps.

Now I am using a surplus powder (WCC755) with a burn rate similar to H380/W760. Wow, what a difference. Accuracy is back, vel is where it should be (3050 to 3100fps) and life is good. Normally, a powder this slow would not be recommended for this case but seems to work.

Have read the same thing with the WSM's. Some are really responding to extremely slow powders like Re25. Go figure.

Hope this helps...

Jerry

Jerry.

I'd have to check my data. That was around three years ago. in fact, I pretty much burnt out that barrel shooting off all the leftover 95 VLD loads I had kicking around (I had a couple of hundred loaded). Needed to change it anyway. Burnt myself too.
shocked.gif

It sucked shooting them so slow, but I had the bulets so used them on critters and paper. The load was a one holer at that speed. I was going for 3200-3300 like you mentioned. The 95 Nosler is listed at 3260 or so with RL22 I think. Can't remember. I played with Vit, IMR and Hodgden. It was very frustrating. I had problems with runout because of the throat I was using and had to seat them out pretty far. They probably have less than 1 cal worth of bearing surface. I also had problems feeding even with a single shot follower, since the case would no ramp up early enough in the bolt throw before the bullet nose hit the hole so it would hit on the outisde edge of the barrel chamber hole face on. Had to be real careful.

With a different rig, properly throated, things might be very different, but a shotgun patter is still a shotgun pattern for me and I ditched the idea. Very nice if you dink it though.

Just read similar experience on another board - xtremeaccuracy.com. Seems like those Berger VLD's like to be hard seated before they shoot. Now they tell you.

Oh well. What did that rifle become?

Jerry

Warning! This thread is more than 21 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.