6BR for long range varminting out to 1000 yards

wildcat

Hey guys, I would like to hear what you think about the 6BR for varminting out to 1000 yards. Will it be good enough, at that range, for small varmints. I know it's a very accurate cartridge, however, will it be good enough for 1000 yard kills.

Any info would be great. I am getting ready to have my rifle built, and I am really leaning towards the 6x284 because of it's velocity and accuracy potential togather. I know it's harder on barrels, but that's what gunsmiths are for + I am not hard on barrels. I would really like to hear all of your suggestions and experinces with the 6BR on varmints out to ranges of 800 to 1000 yards before I make my decision regarding cartridge choice.

I will be using a 30" 1-8.5 twist Krieger barrel. Would 30" barrel be ok for a 6BR, or is that too long.

I look forward to hearing from everyone on this topic.

Wildcat

Catshooter,

I will be shooting at ground squirrels and PDogs. I believe the 6BR will have enough retained energy for these small varmints. I would just like to hear from shooters who have used the 6BR on squirrels or PDogs at this range.

I know the 6x284 will do the trick, and that's the cartrige I am leaning towards. However, the 6BR is still in the back of my mind, and I want to get some more info.

Wildcat

I don't own one and have never shot one but one of my yote hunting buddies has one with a 26" hart bbl and shoots 87gr vmax. I have been hunting with him and seen him make a 911 yard shot on a yote it spun around about 5 times then fell over dead. Ive seen him make many 500 & 600 yards shots and they just drop instantly. It works for him and he swears by it. I like the 22-243 win with 90gr bergers.

Mikebob,

Thanks for the great info Mike.

I am thinking the 6BR will be just fine for my needs. I am trying to decide between the 6x284 or 6BR. I love the 6x284, and I ve seen how it performs out to 1000 yards. However, if the 6BR is good enough for the small vermin such as squirrels and PDogs, then maybe I should really think before I make my final decision.

Wildcat

I ve thought about that too, however, I don't no much about the 6x47. I will look into that cartridge too.

I know some folks that use it but mine is set up to shoot 66.7 grain flat bases which is not very conducive to 1k shooting. Might go with a Dasher or maybe a 6x284 -- building a 6x284 as we speak. Just got the stock back from Accurate Innovations and everything is ready to start but it is going to be a short range (less than 500) rifle with a 1-14 Krieger.

I thought you were building a 6-284 -wildcat?

6br ---to small -it will lob them out that far but you better know to the inch how far it really is to the target b/c it will have a pretty steep drop at 1000yds.

Ol Mike, I am more than likley going to build the rifle around the 6x284. However, I am just trying to get some info on the 6BR before I make my final decision.

Wildcat

6br ---to small -it will lob them out that far but you better know to the inch how far it really is to the target b/c it will have a pretty steep drop at 1000yds.

Hmm, 6mm BRDX with 1-9 twist and 105 BIB at 3130 fps.

If that is "lobbing them in there", do not try to catch one unless you have a kevlar catchers mitt.:p

BH

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.