The Best Overall 1000 yard Long Range Varmint Cartridge

wildcat

Hello All, I thought I would get a discussion going regarding this topic. It came to me after a couple of my shooting buddies begain discussing this topic. I thought it would be a good topic to discuss on this site.

There are many great varmint cartridges such as the;
1. 204
2. 223
3. 22-250
4. 220 Swift

However, for this discussion were focusing on long range varminting out to 1000 yards. This type of shooting is not fast, so barrel life will not be a factor. The following needs to be taken into account when considering this cartridge; Velocity, Accuracy, Recoil, Retained energy, Bullet and Brass selection. The cartridges mentioned above are excellent varmint cartriges and they can be used for long range varminting with the right bullet, but they are not the norm for this type of shooting. For this discussion, we will use the following 6mm cartridges because they are all suitable for 1000 yard varmint work. The question is which one is the best;

1. 6x284
2. 6mm BR
3. 6mm Remington
4. 243 Ackley Improved
5. 6mm Ackley Improved
6. 243 Winchester

Yes, there are other great calibers. However, the 6mm cartridges IMO are king in this department for ranges out to 1000 yards. I know there are larger calibers aswell, however, they produce more recoil and are more expensive to shoot. Also, the larger calibers are better suited for shooting past 1000 yards. So, lets discuss the best 1000 yard varmint cartridge.

IMO, this is how they stack up;

1. The 6x284 is number 1 because of the combined qualities; Velocity, Accuracy, Retained energy down range, Low recoil and brass selection. The 6x284 can shoot a 107grn bullet, from a 30" pipe, at around 3500fps. There is no other 6mm cartridge that can produce the velocity and accuracy that the 6x284 can and that's why I believe it's the ultimate 1000 yard varmint cartridge.

2. In second, the 243 Ackley Improved. It's much slower than the 6x284, however, It comes close to the 6mm Ackley Improved in velocity. The reason I pick it over the 6mm Ackley Improved, the 243 Ackley Improved has better brass selection.

3. In third, the 6mm Ackley Improved. It comes close to the 6x284 in velocity. However, the brass selection is not good. Yes, you can make good brass out of other cartridges, but that's alot more work for a cartridge that already requires much work.

4. In forth, the 243 Winchester. It's much slower than the above mentioned cartridges. However, it still shoots the 107grn bullets faster than the 6BR and you can use excellent brass for the 243 Winchester.

5. In fifth, the 6mm Remington. I know it's a bit faster than the 243 Winchester, however, brass selection is poor.

6. In last, the 6BR, only because of the velocity factor. The 6BR is the most accurate out of all the listed cartridges. However, we need velocity and accuracy in order to retain enough energy to put a varmint down at 1000 yards. The 6BR is an awesome cartriges and if we were discussing shots out to just 600 yards, than the 6BR would be my #1.

The 25-06 is a good caliber for long range varminting too. However, bullet selection is not very good. The 6mm caliber and cartridges are the best for 1000 yard long range varminting.

I hope this discussion takes off. I would like to see what others think and see how they list their top 1000 yard long range varmint cartridge.

Wildcat

Last edited:
covered??

I think you decided on 6mm and the rest is really just deciding how fast you want to replace barrels. I had a 6 rem that shot around 6" at 1K when the wind was good and I wasn't screwing up. The BR has set records.... the 284 is not really that forgiving or cheap to shoot and that was one of your requirements. That's just my opinion..... There is already a good thread on this that is active in the varmint section this week. 6 rem gets my vote!

Dave, the 338 Edge is definently an awesome long range cartridge, especially for shots past 1000 yards. If I were looking for a long range varmint cartridge for the 338 caliber, I would probably pick the 338 Allen Mag or 338 Edge. For shooting under a 1000 yards, I think the 6x284 is perfect for varminting cartridge.

Wildcat

Lazylabs,

Yes, the 6BR is awesome I must agree. However, it does not put the varmints down, at 1000 yards, like the 6x284 or the others. I do agree, the 6BR is awesome. I will have one soon.

The 6mm Remington is a great long range varmint cartridge. The only problem with it, you can't get Lapua or Norma brass. The only way you can get Lapua brass is if you make it from a different cartridge. I do agree, it's a great cartridge.

Wildcat

Rotorhead,

The 220 Swift is a great .22 caliber varmint rifle. IMO, the 220 Swift is the best .22 caliber for long range varminting if your using the right bullets. The only problem with the .22 calibers, is the retained energy at the longer ranges.

Wildcat

Why is brass selection such an important factor? look at all the cartridges that lapua and norma dont make brass for and still shoot just as good if not better than the ones that they do make it for. as sombody already mention cost. if you go with lapua or norma brass that defeats your perpose.

the only problem i see with the 6mm for varmiting is how many wounded animals are you going to have? whats the retained energy of the 6x284 @1000 with 105 VLD???

my vote also goes for the 338 edge. or some other accurate magnum. put a good break on it and your good to go. plus you know you will get the "red mist factor" and put them down for good with a less percentage of run offs.

huntinfool18

Couple points.

You can rule out any of the 22s for 1000 yard work unless you go with the very fast twist 1-6.5 or 7 twist barrels shooting the 80-90 gr bullets which are not varmint bullets. The 22 for long range limits your bullet selection and short range effectiveness. Now, 22s at 500-600 yards, they make great varmint calibers.

IMO a barrel burner (6-284 in particular) is not a cost effective long range varmint gun IF you shoot a lot. The barrels in the 6.5-284 last 800-to max 1200 rds, and the 6mm even less. new barrel installed is $500-600.

Great shooting guns require 3 things. very good bullets, very good barrels and very good brass.

Best brass (most common) in order is RWS, Lapua, Norma, Nosler, Federal GM, Federal, Win and finally Rem.

Guys have worn out 2-3 barrels with 50 pieces of RWS brass. Now that is cost effectiveness and top shooting all in one.

take the 6mm AI, buy RWS brass ($1.00-1.50 ea) in 7mm neck down and neck turn. the brass will outlast the gun, same velocity as 6-284 and not a noted barrel burner. That will normally mean 1/3 more barrel life or about $200 savings every year to two years.

Necking down, boy that is tough, that takes about 5 minutes for 100 pieces.

Neck turning, about 1 hr for same 100 pieces.

Now compare that to time spent weighting, sorting and measuring other less uniform brass that lasts 25% as long maybe.

Cheaper many times means less effective and more costly in the long run.

Now if your varmint hunting is 1000 rounds in a day at a Pdog town, then buy the cheap stuff and cheapest barrels as you will need a new barrel when done anyway.

BH

I am not BH but...

7x57 norma would work. I see RWS list the 7x57 and also a 5.6x57. I am not sure how they run for neck thickness but you might be able to neck up and not even have to turn them??? necking down and turning would obviously give you a better chance to fit necks.

If your not going to get into all the match prep and reload procedures brass manufacturer probably makes less of a difference. What size groups are you looking for at 1000?

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.