69th shot

Certainly not incredible!

A quote from one of the articles:
"A few hours later, it was the 69th shot that hit the mark. Austin and Humphries say that while their hit isn't scientifically consistently repeatable,"

That's what makes it hard to do. If it was scientifically repeatable you guys would be out there beating it and posting proof.

Last edited:
So let's say I see a rabbit in the garden. I pick up a rock and throw at it... and miss.
I throw another rock, and yet another. Finally after 68 rocks and on the 69th throw I hit the rabbit.
Would you be impressed? (other than the rabbit having nerves of steel)

I don't get it. First shot, yup very impressive. Within 3-4 shots, yes... impressive. Repeat it and I'd call that very impressive.

Hail Mary enough projectiles downrange and something is going to hit eventually, whether it be skill or the wind blowing one into the target.
What's that old saying...even a blind hog runs into an acorn now and again. Can't say I could duplicate their feat, but can say I won't waste ammo or heartbeats attempting too. It appears to be a useless accomplishment...as in the rabbit example. After 50 years of very successful engineering, business/product development, problem resolving, et el, I'm a firm believer that just because something can be done, does not mean it should be. Even 1 out of 69 doesn't mean much if you can't repeat it, in fewer the next time........luck of the bullet drop in my book. More power to them for attaining their goal by their standards of success. If one needs to throw that much ammo downrange, I'd suggest putting a lil sneak on it.

Stuff changes a lot from 4,000 yds to over 7,700 yds. though. 😉
Yeah... the main "stuff" that changes is the probability of a hit.

Look, I'm not going to sit here and argue with anyone over it. This "ELR" thing has been going on for my entire career. It was no different 15 years ago than it is now, regarding the nature of what guys consider success. (obviously the equipment and tech is a LOT better) There I am laying down in the dirt trying to engage a 1 MOA sized target at 1 mile. I'm getting 60-80% hit percentages in real conditions with the first round fired. This was long ago... and I'd probably do considerably better today... but even then I knew first round hit is all that matters in any practical purpose with a rifle.

Meanwhile just a little ways away was an "ELR" guy shooting his 50BMG at 2 miles. His target was literally the side of a cube truck. I estimate 8x16 feet. Just a guess... but he probably fired 200 rounds at that truck.
LUyh1J8h.gif

Seriously though, if this is the kind of shooting that makes those guys happy... then I encourage them to do it. I didn't mean for my posts to be interpreted as downplaying their accomplishment. They should have all the fun in the world, with whatever rifle they want, shooting as far as they want to shoot. Let me be very clear here: I'm not judging them for shooting the way they want. I'm judging the "record." I don't think them having fun shooting like this is silly. I think calling something a "record" when there's no legitimate recognized governing body that is agreed by all to be in good standing to officiate the "record." Meanwhile the other fellas I posted about... that's a sanctioned match. Whole different ball game. Even then, I'd say... lets see people come to South Dakota and try that stuff. If someone thinks hits past 2000yds are easy and repeatable, they just live and shoot in the calmest places in the world. I've honed my abilities in one of the most punishing geographical areas in the country. Right now it's blowing 18 to 33mph outside. A 1 MOA target at even 1000yds is going to be a tough one on that first round no matter which rifle I grab.

It's kind of hard to tote around a 155mm Howitzer though.
It's easier than toting around a 75lb "ELR" rifle. I can hop in a 155 howitzer, grab the sticks... and go where I want to go, and when I get there and line up on my target, I promise you it won't take me 69 rounds to hit my target.

k14UePJh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Look, I'm not going to sit here and argue with anyone over it. This "ELR" thing has been going on for my entire career. It was no different 15 years ago than it is now, regarding the nature of what guys consider success. (obviously the equipment and tech is a LOT better) There I am laying down in the dirt trying to engage a 1 MOA sized target at 1 mile. I'm getting 60-80% hit percentages in real conditions with the first round fired. This was long ago... and I'd probably do considerably better today... but even then I knew first round hit is all that matters in any practical purpose with a rifle.

Meanwhile just a little ways away was an "ELR" guy shooting his 50BMG at 2 miles. His target was literally the side of a cube truck. I estimate 8x16 feet. Just a guess... but he probably fired 200 rounds at that truck.
LUyh1J8h.gif

Seriously though, if this is the kind of shooting that makes those guys happy... then I encourage them to do it. I didn't mean for my posts to be interpreted as downplaying their accomplishment. They should have all the fun in the world, with whatever rifle they want, shooting as far as they want to shoot. Let me be very clear here: I'm not judging them for shooting the way they want. I'm judging the "record." I don't think them having fun shooting like this is silly. I think calling something a "record" when there's no legitimate recognized governing body that is agreed by all to be in good standing to officiate the "record." Meanwhile the other fellas I posted about... that's a sanctioned match. Whole different ball game. Even then, I'd say... lets see people come to South Dakota and try that stuff. If someone thinks hits past 2000yds are easy and repeatable, they just live and shoot in the calmest places in the world. I've honed my abilities in one of the most punishing geographical areas in the country. Right now it's blowing 18 to 33mph outside. A 1 MOA target at even 1000yds is going to be a tough one on that first round no matter which rifle I grab.

It's easier than toting around a 75lb "ELR" rifle. I can hop in a 155 howitzer, grab the sticks... and go where I want to go, and when I get there and line up on my target, I promise you it won't take me 69 rounds to hit my target.

k14UePJh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Hand up for a ride-along...... Dibs on manning the MaDuce....:) :) :)

LUyh1J8h.gif

k14UePJh.jpg

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Hop in a M109. Not a Howitzer. Grab the sticks ? 😆 Get real .

Darn when I was a kid i had a Daisy BB gun that you pulled the barrel out and loaded 20 BBs in a spring tube. If the wind was blowing 20 to 30 mph at our back we could shoot at a 45 degree angle in the air and the wind would carry the BB about 1/2 mile to my friend's house. He would sit on his roof with machinist safety goggles and tell us (with a can and string communication) where the BB hit on the roof. Would adjust by the way the wind blew! ELR in the early 60s!!!!

Once we zeroed in we pumbled his house with BBs (it was really only about 1/4 mile away but BB were cheap and you could shoot a few hundred in a short time,
His father caught on and we all got our butts whipped. I think a bb gun or two were broken also.
YEP WE WERE PROS!!!!!!!!
Some even became snipers in the Corps.

Once we zeroed in we pumbled his house with BBs (it was really only about 1/4 mile away but BB were cheap and you could shoot a few hundred in a short time,
His father caught on and we all got our butts whipped. I think a bb gun or two were broken also.
YEP WE WERE PROS!!!!!!!!
Some even became snipers in the Corps.
Repeatability! That's what it's all about.