69th shot

I don't get the hostility/dismissal here.

These folks aren't claiming to be snipers nor did this happen in the context of competition: don't judge them as such.

Whenever someone does something that no one has done before there will always be those among the "never done that" demographic who will 💩 on the achievement to feel better about their own accomplishments. Super obvious.

I don't get the hostility/dismissal here.

These folks aren't claiming to be snipers nor did this happen in the context of competition: don't judge them as such.

Whenever someone does something that no one has done before there will always be those among the "never done that" demographic who will 💩 on the achievement to feel better about their own accomplishments. Super obvious.
👍🏻

5E5A4CB8-F863-46E6-AC23-A69F05C57733.jpeg

Ok, then what after?

I haven't done it at 4 miles... but I hit a full size IPSC on shot #4 at over 4000yds with a 375 cheytac. What practical benefit does the shooting community get by lobbing rounds until you get an impact?

I'm happy to hear logical arguments.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

Does this sort of unending pursuit of going farther, even if it's impractical as all get out, not help drive and refine product development and optimization? Or not really? I legit don't know but would assume we learn from trying to do things that haven't been done before, simply because that's always true in literally all other aspects of life experience and science. There were a lot of things done by both the USA and USSR during the so called space age that were tremendously impractical and a colossal waste of money in what was essentially a ****ing (urinating 🤣 yay censors) contest between superpowers. But the scientific community learned a ton and materials science advanced at an exponential rate because of all this sabre rattling and showing off haha.

I am interested in seeing how they set this rifle up to angle the barrel up enough to get the bullet to go that far (not enough to read the article though).

Another interesting question on this subject is actually what is the maximum range that bullet will travel, regardless of how much angle you put on it. I really suspect this is nearing maximum lob distances

I am interested in seeing how they set this rifle up to angle the barrel up enough to get the bullet to go that far (not enough to read the article though).

Another interesting question on this subject is actually what is the maximum range that bullet will travel, regardless of how much angle you put on it. I really suspect this is nearing maximum lob distances
Here's a more in depth article Owlman posted on "loooong shot".

Ok, then what after?

I haven't done it at 4 miles... but I hit a full size IPSC on shot #4 at over 4000yds with a 375 cheytac. What practical benefit does the shooting community get by lobbing rounds until you get an impact?

I'm happy to hear logical arguments.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

That's an awesome shot you made there. 👍 Stuff changes a lot from 4,000 yds to over 7,700 yds. though. 😉

That's what makes this all the more incredible. Wish they would have lobbed a couple more once they got the hit...

Certainly not incredible!

A quote from one of the articles:

A few hours later, it was the 69th shot that hit the mark. Austin and Humphries say that while their hit isn't scientifically consistently repeatable,

These types of "records" don't carry much weight with me. Field artillery can hit anything if you give them enough ammo. Even indiscriminate fire with mortars... can eventually land on something.

This is a post I copied from I don't remember where a few days ago, posted by Derek Love:

Now that is an impressive feat, and a precision rifle record I can actually support.

-----------
Follow on Instagram
Subscribe on YouTube
Amazon Affiliate

It's kind of hard to tote around a 155mm Howitzer though.

Recent Posts