670 yard Mule Deer

kessingm

I took this mule deer on October 14. Shooting a Tikka T3 270 WSM. Using a 165 grain Matrix VLD in front of Retumbo powder.

Last edited by a moderator:
Congratulations, nice work.

I'd like to hear more about the 165 Matrix. I've also got a 270 WSM and had it built with a twist that should shoot them without issue.

Good shootin and thanks for sharing.

The 165 grain Matrix is shooting well out of my Tikka, which has a 10" twist. The bullets don't seem to have any trouble stabilizing. I have not shot the 175gr Matrix, as I'm not sure how they would do. I have tried a number of different powders and Retumbo seems to work the best as far as accuracy and consistent velocity. I am sure I could load hotter, but I am getting 2,825 fps, which I am happy with.

HOLY SMOKES man!! So, I've already emailed your vid to all my contacts who hunt/shoot. Simply amazing hunt. Oh, and by the way, tell the cameraman THANK YOU for using a tripod or whatever he used to stabilize the camera. I hate the numerous posted videos hand held and constant shaking. I take my tripod all the time. Great video.

Does your rifle have a factory barrel or aftermarket?

I am hunting in north central Idaho.

My hunting partner was my wife. I'll tell her you appreciate the tripod :)

Factory barrel.

The 165 grain Matrix is shooting well out of my Tikka, which has a 10" twist. The bullets don't seem to have any trouble stabilizing. I have not shot the 175gr Matrix, as I'm not sure how they would do. I have tried a number of different powders and Retumbo seems to work the best as far as accuracy and consistent velocity. I am sure I could load hotter, but I am getting 2,825 fps, which I am happy with.

Thanks for the info. Mine's got a 9.5 twist, still don't know if that's enough for the 175's, but sounds like it's plenty for the 165's.

It appeared to me that the shot hit lungs and spine.......??
Did the bullet exit? If not, did you find it? If you found it, I'd be interested in hearing what it looked like and if it exited, how large was the exit wound?

Once again, very nicely done!

Hit lung and clipped spine, due to the way he was laying down. The bullet did exit, but I did not recover it. The exit wound was probably 2+ inches in diameter at the hide.

THAT-WAS-AWSOME!!!!!

I hope that one day I have the patience to film a hunt like that!

Do you mind telling us what you used for recording gear?

That was awesome!! The 270 WSM and 165 Matrix combo is an awesome one and absolutely one of my favorite!!!

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.