6.8mm Rem. SPC

midmoboy

I'm sure that someone can tell me exactly what the 6.8mm Rem. SPC is! I guess that it is a round that the government has requested, and Remington says they will be chambering it in production rifles after they fill the gov orders, but that is all I've heard. I assume it has potential because Rem is loading it in their "Premier Match" loads. Any one know much about it?

Its a light recoiling, .27 caliber round, based on the 30Rem case, that has an OAL short enough to fit in the M16/M4 series of weapons. Launches a 115gr OTM between 24-2600fps depending on barrel length. The trajectory matches the 308win 175gr OTM round very closely to 600M. Its an effective round for mammals(two legged and four) up to 350lbs. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Charles is correct. The ballistics are pretty close to the old 6.8 Pederson round that John Garand originally designed the M-1 around. I've shot a couple 6.8SPCs in M-4 configuration. Ammo quality is still iffy. Some very good, and some, well, back to the drawing board. Standard M-16 magazines won't feed reliably at capacity. A different follower is necessary. They are doing well overall in the hands of our finest, but the bolt lugs are sometimes shearing off on full-auto./ubbthreads/images/graemlins/mad.gif There are already several wildcat calibers based on the 6.8SPC.

dose anyone know where I could get 6.8 ammo? I'm looking at getting a new M4 upper chambered in it, but I want to find an ammo source before I buy.

Warning! This thread is more than 20 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.