Is a 260 remington the same as a 6.8mm?

Nope , the 260 is based on the 308 and 243 winchester cases where the 6.8 SPC is based on the 30 remington case I believe , shorter case less volume. Also the 6.8 SPC has a bore diameter of .277" same as 270 Winchester and the 260 Rem hase a bore diameter of .264" same as the 6.5-284 and 264 Win mag.

The 6.8 SPC was desgined to be fitted in the standard AR platform with little modification to the gun but adding an increase in power on target. I think that this is a big waste of time and effort on the military's part , the 5.56 NATO is a good round if the proper bullets are used and if the bore diameter "has" to be increased simply necking the 223 up to a 6mm and shooting 80gr bullets would make for a balisticaly better round and a hell of alot less work to the stardard issue weapon.

sorry for the little bit of ranting at the end their I got into an argument at the range when this round made its opening mark on the civilian world , I am lucky enough to know and shoot with several SEAL's from several differan't SEAL teams and none of them think that this round is worth the effort , and it was supposedly desgined by former SEAL's and in conjunctin with SOCOM.

Warning! This thread is more than 17 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.