6.5x284

Jim/Iowa

New to long range, however I am ready to bring somthing to the party. How does one create this rifle? I have a Parker-Hale bolt action in 243 that is getting tired. Is this a possible choice? If so who do recomend to do the work?
TNA
Jim

Jim

I don't know if you are aware or not but there are several variants of the 6.5 x 284, I went for the standard neck Norma version. Tac-Ord in Idaho is building the rifle. I decided on that chamber after talking to several shooters and a couple the business folks (Sinclair and Black Hills Ammo). I like the option of being able to shoot factory ammo.

Jim, I have a converted Parker Hale Midland and it works very well. I have a used match barrel rechambered to 30 Gibbs and this rig will shoot 1/3 MOA or better using Hornady SST 165gr bullets. I feed from the mag usually as the Mauser type extractor doesn't like to push feed.

Not sure which model you have, if this is just a sporterised Mauser or commercial action. Either way, any quality gunsmith will be able to work on it since the install is the same as a Mauser.

Keep headspace as close to zero as possible. Ensure that the lugs have at least 60% contact on both sides - they should. Don't worry that the bolt handle wobbles during cycling. What matters is that the lock up is consistent and tight.

I would suggest you stick with cartridges based on the '06 case. Easier to work and then you have a repeater. Performance can be as high as the Short Magnums by using wildcats like the Gibbs and a longer barrel. The 6.5-06 reg is equal to the 6.5-284 with regards to performance and hunting accuracy. The improved versions are faster.

I am guessing that this action comes with a single stage "commerical" trigger. Adjust to the lightest, crisp, safe trigger you can. Mine is under 2lbs. If still military, I would look for a new trigger.

Jerry

Jim, Have you thought about maybe 260rem or 7mm-08rem, for your rig. I do not know much about the 260 but I have a 7-08rem. It is a very accurate cartridge. With my 24" tube ballistics are comparable to my 22" tubed 30-06. Just my 2 cents. good luck on the project. Hunter700

Hunter I was thinking all a long about the 260 and it was not until last night when the wife surprised me with a new love seat that I could see a way to add another. However as I have the 243, 7mm mag they overlap when you hand load. The 243 has 1/10 twist but rejects 100 grn bullets, 7mm likes 139 to 165 and shoots close to the same zero. Its like a new Cabela's catalog what can I buy?

Jerry thanks for the reply. I believe its a commercial grade shows the importer to be Jana of Denver Co. It has a great trigger, but the groups are spreading out. I thought it would be a canadate for a 6.5 as its a 243. I will have to check around for a smith there does not seem to be a lot of them who works on rifles that I know of in Iowa.
Jim

send your action to E R Shaw they will fit any barrel you want upto a 26 inch long $175.00 plus bluing and I think it is $30.00 for fitting.
I have bought 3 barrels from them and all of them are accurate shooters.
call and talk to Chris.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.