6.5x284 or 270win.

redtucker

I have a nice model 70 feather wieght in stialess sythetic stock bought it new years ago been considering rechambering it to a6.5x284 norma from the 270win. that it is looking for some in put form others before I tear it down

The .270 Win. is one of, if not the finest caliber in existence for a featherweight rifle. The only thing you will gain is access to several excellent 6.5 bullets with high B/C, but in a featherweight rifle they don't do much for you. Now if you are considering a heavier, longer barrel then there might be some rational for going to a 6.5x.284. Just depends on what you are going to use it for and how much it will be carried.

The Featherweight has a 22" barrel and a 1-10 twist. You can put a great couple of loads together with the Cutting Edge 130s or nosler 140 ABs and have a great rig to 500+ yards. Anything more than that and you may want a bigger scope, longer barrel, and the whole gun will change. A Featherweight in 270 can be meat pole in its own righ and a joy to own.

Just buy a 6.5, there is a good savage lrh for sale........

Just depends on what you are going to use it for and how much it will be carried.

Therein lies the $500 question.

What do you plan to do with it?

Are you already set up to reload?

If you do not currently reload, I'd say stick with the .270, especially if you travel anywhere to hunt. Whereas .270 shells can be found about anywhere, I'd guess you won't find 6.5 shells anywhere.

A .270 is an awesome all around rifle, so if you're simply wanting something different- go buy a 6.5x284 and keep the .270 as a backup.

For what you'll have into rebarreling your .270, you can nearly pay for a decent used rifle and then you'll have TWO rifles to drain your wallet!

If you're wanting to shoot longer ranges, spend some money on a really good scope and use the .270.

Just my two cents worth.

Think I will put a top end scope on it and build a 6.5x284 keep mine light as I can Thanks for the input

If it was me and I was a reloaded I would build a 6.5-06 and never look back. I own both 6.5 x284 and 6.5-06 and 6.5-06 ai the 6.5-06 is much cheaper to shoot good brass same powder charge it is the same gun but less expensive.

I have had a 270 Win and sold it and have never looked back. Today I shoot a .264 Win Mag for my Deer Rifle.
If I was to change today it would be a 6.5x284 with out a second thought. I am over the Magum craze. Even though that is what I have and still use. Just not needed Deer.

I love my .270 AI ...

1116141048_zps31535348.jpg

I have pushed the 175 Matrix near 3100 FPS but current accuracy load is 2993 FPS.

I would ask what are the overall benefits you are looking for with the upgrade. If you are accurate with the existing rifle inside the distances you want to shoot with the .270, why change things. If you just want a new caliber, I'd just get a new rifle. The cost of a rebuild isn't far off of what you can get a new rifle. Sometimes we get wrapped up in minutia when there is nothing really wrong with the existing setup. I like the option of upgrading the optics opposed to caliber, unless you decide to step up to a magnum platform, then you are gaining distance.

They are both very good choices. The 270 brass is easier to come by, and you can push 150 grain bullets out of it. In a featherweight, I'd stick with the 270. That said, nothing wrong with the 6.5. I think another option would be to buy an ultralight 260 Rem, which nearly does what the 6.5x284 does, but with less recoil...and benefit of easy brass availability and the short action that is both stiffer and lighter.

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts