J34 or J107?

davkrat

Going to get my first Eberlestock. I'm leaning towards the lighter and less expensive J34 but I don't want to feel Ian LR to haul a serious load. I currently use a Lowe Alpine 90L bag. The J34 is about 75L and the J107 is 80L. With my 90 liter bag I tend to cram it full of crap only to regret it halfway up the mountain.

Can anyone compare the load hauling ability of the J37? Don't think I really need the fanny pack off the J107.

Sorry I didn't see your post until now davkrat. I would have suggested that you go with the J34 which is perfectly capable of hauling a serious load. You'll love it!

Andy

I have the J107 and really like the pack, but if I were to do it again I would get the J34, Its a little bit better suited for the 3-4 days hikes and is nearly as big. It can be used as a day pack as well, where the 107 is just too big.

I also find the J107 a little bit heavier than I would like.

*forgot to add* if your planning on using big optics and/or a bi-pod, get the M version of either, as the scabbard is much better suited for LR rifles.

That'a a good point about the scabbard Angus, but only the J107 is offered in the "M" version which means it has the wider military scabbard designed to carry AR's, etc. I can fit my large rifle with large optics with exposed turrets and a bipod into all the Eberlestock hunting sized scabbards, but it is a snug fit.

Thanks. Was finally able to put the rifle in it and a little bit of a load and I think it is going to be perfect. The places I hunt I don't tend to be out for more than 3 days max. This should be perfect for that. It's too hot and dry to go for a real extended backpack trip and expect my fat butt to get meat out fast enough to not spoil it. I'll keep the week plus trips to backpacking only and use the bigger dedicated backpacking bag for that.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.