6.5x284 Ladder Test Results

That much of a change with only .1-.2 grains difference leads me away from the loads. I personally have never seen that small of a change cause groups to go from 1.3 MOA down to under .5 MOA, and if it did that would be too finicky and non repeatable of a load anyway, and I would try something else. I HAVE however seen mirage make a .25 MOA rifle/shooter combo produce groups well over MOA.

You know Cody,
With the mirage and not seeing my hits real well, I just had a hard time getting comfortable on the stock with the first two loads. After getting ****ed at myself for not using my shooting routine,
I stepped away from the bench for awhile.
When I shot the 54.5 load, I had the butt plate tucked into my shoulder gap and then dropped my cheekbone down on the stock. I finally felt locked in.
I'm sure it was my errors that caused the previous bad groups in hindsight.

I will shoot 54.5 at 300 again to see the results.
Thanks to you all for your thoughts.
It's always as appreciated.

I am really happy with H4831.
Retumbo gave better velocity, but I'm enjoying the accuracy with H4831.

How many grains H4831 did you end up at for your final load?
Also, I'm certainly not knocking your load development, but you didn't ever get any signs of pressure? I know its not EXACTLY the same bullet, but Berger load data for the 140 grain Elite Hunter bullet with H4831SC shows a max of 53.7 grains?

How many grains H4831 did you end up at for your final load?
Also, I'm certainly not knocking your load development, but you didn't ever get any signs of pressure? I know its not EXACTLY the same bullet, but Berger load data for the 140 grain Elite Hunter bullet with H4831SC shows a max of 53.7 grains?
I am going with 54.5 grs H4831.
I put up a 1.1" 5 shot group at 300 yards.
Group was all horizontal.
2942 fps average with an extreme spread of 13 fps.

I took it out to 1350 yards.
Once I figured out the wind, 6 hits in a row on a 12x18 gong
I'm happy with that..

56.3 gr of H4831 seems like a lot...
I use 54.7 gr of H1000 with a 140 hunting VLD to get 2987 fps avg.
but i also use 52.5 gr H4831sc with a 140 sierra game king and get 2940 ish with that load. H4831sc has proven to be one of the most stable powders i have ever used. day to day, week to week, year to year, it always gives the same speed, and ES/SD numbers.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.