6.5x284 help

If you haven't seen these already, it's a great read: 6.5-284 Cartridge Guide. 6.5-284s of the Hoover Clan[URL="http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek044.html[/QUOTE"][/URL][URL="http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek044.html[/QUOTE"][URL="http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek044.html[/QUOTE"][/QUOTE[/URL][/URL]]

Try the cartridge guide posted above that should get you where you need to be. H4831 in either the short cut or long cut it's in between the powders you have tried and is a solid performer in a lot of 6.5's.

Good luck and shoot straight

Bob

Just a thought there is a slight chance it still may be mechanical. Mikecr mentioned the scope; have you tried another? Also after several dozen Savage builds nothing seems to surprise me anymore.

One easily overlooked check items on a Savage build is the front action screw.
A properly torqued screw can be too long (especially after stock replacement).
The floating bolt head can deflect enough to affect accuracy but the interference is often negligible (unlike a Rem) as far as "feeling" it during bolt throw. Sometimes they can be as long as one full thread or more.
An easy check is to color the lug with a "Sharpie" and work the bolt with a dummy round.

Good luck,
Randy

Just a thought there is a slight chance it still may be mechanical. Mikecr mentioned the scope; have you tried another? Also after several dozen Savage builds nothing seems to surprise me anymore.

The floating bolt head can deflect enough to affect accuracy but the interference is often negligible (unlike a Rem) as far as "feeling" it during bolt throw. Sometimes they can be as long as one full thread or more.
An easy check is to color the lug with a "Sharpie" and work the bolt with a dummy round.

Good luck,
Randy

I have switched scopes and bases it did not make a difference. I also took the mcmillian off and put the factory stock back on to see if there was an issue there... I will check the bolt head tonight
Thanks everybody for the advice I'll keep trying
Andrew

Andrew,
I've visited X calibers site a few times , I think they use Brux barrels. I've only heard good things about Brux. I know It's not impossible for anyone to produce a bad barrel though.
Maybe its not chambered square, I don't know.

BUT, NEVER have I been more frustrated with a cartridge than 6.5-284 !!
Is there any way you could try H4831 or Rl23 as previously suggested ?

Good luck,
Randy
I can usually check the lug recess with a 45° pick ( or paperclip) to make sure the action screw is clear of the bolt head but you've got a good method too.

Andrew,
I've visited X calibers site a few times , I think they use Brux barrels. I've only heard good things about Brux. I know It's not impossible for anyone to produce a bad barrel though.
Maybe its not chambered square, I don't know.

BUT, NEVER have I been more frustrated with a cartridge than 6.5-284 !!
Is there any way you could try H4831 or Rl23 as previously suggested ?

I will try 4831 and rl23 that seems to be about the last step
Thank Andrew

I've known the Hoover's personally for a long time, when it comes to the 6.5/284 just listen and read the article twice...the key is that brass, you can't buy it anymore ...also the use of H-4350.. Also the statement about cleaning too much... I also see they are shooting some "other" cartridges these days...they do have a shop, type in . . Accuracy One . . that's the shop name.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.