6.5X284 Help

Willys46

I have a reloading issue that I would like some feedback.

Shooting a 6.5X284 Norma, Lapua Brass, 49gr H4350 Fed 210m. Velocity is running 3033.

The issues is with the brass. I am using a Neil Jones bushing Die, bumping the shoulder back .002 but it is chambering hard and has a horrible CLICK right at the top of the bolt lift. Rem 700 action. Loaded rounds have the same click on extraction.

It looks like the case web area has expanded after three firings and the die will not size the area. I was doing some measuring and comparing to the reamer print and the numbers seem to be very close.

Is this a simple case of needing to full length size the brass? Or am I missing something really simple.

Thanks for the help

Willys46
AKA..Cody

your load might be too hot. mic your rim dia. I loaded Lapua cases w/ 47.5 gr of 4350 w/ cci200 primers and found that the primer looked ok, but the headstamp was smeared and the ejector slot was inprinted on the headstamp. when I micced the rim they came out @ .480-.495". @ a buck a case you might want to back your load down a bit.

Classic case of chamber/die mis-match. Try a Redding full length or body die if you can. Your's isn't sizing the webb enough. The click is not always a sign of a hot load, especially if the pockets are still tight.

My 6.5-284's are all chambered with a PT&G reamer and the Redding dies are a perfect match.

I would probably peddle the bushing neck die and buy a Redding full length bushing die and size in one step.

If your chamber is a tight neck, a regular full length die wouldn't touch the neck anyway, so would act as a body die.

I guess I'd get the body die if you were to keep the current neck die.

Might look at the price differences, they could sway your choice.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.