6.5x284 from a mag

Matt Tatum

Hey guys. I'm thinking of building a 6.5x284 and I want to shoot it from a mag. I've read so many forums and some say you can run it from aics mags, some say you have to modify and some say no. Has anybody done one in a long action? Would it run better from a tikka actio/mag? Or would I be better served going 6.5-06? I know performance is about the same but I have a 284 in a Ruger #1 and I'm set up to load for it. Thanks for your input

If you use a AICS LA magazine the lips may need tweeking whether you go with a mag for the .30/06 or a mag for the magnums (like 7mm Rem Mag or .300 Win Mag). Not all rifle components are 'drop-in', that's why they call it "gunsmithing". The cartridge needs to sit high enough in the magazine so the bolt can 'pick it up' and slide it into the chamber.

I suggest a Tikka, with an xlr or mdt long action chassis. Use the mdt 3.45" internal aics style mag. They're 5 rounds and a little long, but Justin @ Kinport Peak Rifles will shorten the 5 round to 3 for you.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.