6.5x284

freebird63

I'm thinking about buying a donor action for a project. I know I would like to stay with Rem 700 action and a long action. New barrel will be a given. But what caliber would require the least amount of work on the part of my smith? I have yet to talk to him about it, figured I would get some ideas here first.
This will be a hunting rifle.
Thanks for any input

What kind of game are you after, and the distance you are interested in shooting? You have 6.5-284 in your heading. Is this your caliber of preference?

Mostly mule deer and maybe whitetail. No more then 800 yards. Everything I have read about that caliber is pretty impressive.

Mostly mule deer and maybe whitetail. No more then 800 yards. Everything I have read about that caliber is pretty impressive.

Yes, it's a great caliber for deer. I have taken a couple of dozen deer and antelope with mine out to 1000 yards. It's not a complicated build and easy to develope a load for.

Warning! This thread is more than 10 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.