6.5mm Cartridge Virtual Shootout: Which Is Best?

Shouldn't be a surprise the creedmoor got beat. Don't get why everyone seems to think it's the best thing since sliced bread. Cool little round but doesn't get me fired up but I tend to like high velocity stuff.

I really like my 264 win mag. Mine is a ruger 77 Hawkeye that wears a McMillan sako style varmint stock. I pillar bedded it and glass bedded the action, then worked over the trigger. It will shoot 1/4" groups with hornady a-max's and 4350. With 130 grain swift sciroccos ahead of 7828, 1/2-3/4 inch groups are normal. I've thought about buying a donor rifle and building a 6.5-06. That chambering, I think, would be really a great round.

Wow that's the lousiest write up I've ever seen. How the heck does he come up with those rankings? The big magnums have twice the range on big game but fall in the middle of the pack. I guess that's because of recoil. But those aren't big kickers especially with brakes. You might as well pick the winner by throwing darts blindfolded.

IMO, most studies like this can be easily conducted by any of us and could be far more interesting by discussing the effects of available case capacity and case design attributes for cartridges available for a given caliber.
While I've been a die-hard 6.5x284 shooter(for hunting) for about 10 years, there are a variety of good choices in 6.5, depending on your particular requirements. My primary reason for sticking with the 6.5x284 for so long(besides a long string of LR hunting successes) has been the superb quality, consistency, and case life of the Lapua brass, and, the ability to drive a 140gr bullet at 3000FPS. When combined with high BC bullets that demonstrate a broad range of terminal performance on game, I was able to achieve both benchrest grade accuracy with sufficient energy to achieve my goal of 1000 FP energy to 1000 yards for medium game hunting. As to the barrel life neurosis that plaques so many shooters: My go-to Cooper 6.5x284 hunting rifle, between practice, zero checks, casual rock/steel busting at long range and actual hunting shots, has averaged 60 rounds/year. Including initial load development, I'm almost 10 years in and just shy of 1000 rounds. No change in BTO, or fire-cracking. Accuracy, velocity, ES, and cold bore performance is unchanged. Quite a bargain! I expect another 5-7 more years worth of barrel life based on my experiences with my other 6.5x284's before Cooper provides a no-charge replacement barrel.

I started my build before Weatherby came out with their offering.
My goal was a 6.5 Accumark based on the .257 Wby case.
Finished rifle pushes a 140g SST at 3100fps... hoping to push to 3200fps.
It's burning low 60's grains of 7828 and recoil is probably around that of a 264 win.
Sub moa since day one.
Cost, including donor rifle is $1600.
I'm happy with it, hoping to shoot at 1000yds this summer.
Is it a barrel burner? Time will tell!

IMO, most studies like this can be easily conducted by any of us and could be far more interesting by discussing the effects of available case capacity and case design attributes for cartridges available for a given caliber.
While I've been a die-hard 6.5x284 shooter(for hunting) for about 10 years, there are a variety of good choices in 6.5, depending on your particular requirements. My primary reason for sticking with the 6.5x284 for so long(besides a long string of LR hunting successes) has been the superb quality, consistency, and case life of the Lapua brass, and, the ability to drive a 140gr bullet at 3000FPS. When combined with high BC bullets that demonstrate a broad range of terminal performance on game, I was able to achieve both benchrest grade accuracy with sufficient energy to achieve my goal of 1000 FP energy to 1000 yards for medium game hunting. As to the barrel life neurosis that plaques so many shooters: My go-to Cooper 6.5x284 hunting rifle, between practice, zero checks, casual rock/steel busting at long range and actual hunting shots, has averaged 60 rounds/year. Including initial load development, I'm almost 10 years in and just shy of 1000 rounds. No change in BTO, or fire-cracking. Accuracy, velocity, ES, and cold bore performance is unchanged. Quite a bargain! I expect another 5-7 more years worth of barrel life based on my experiences with my other 6.5x284's before Cooper provides a no-charge replacement barrel.
I didn't realize that Cooper will replace a barrel for free once it's shot out. That's cool.(not that I think I'll ever keep a gun long enough to do that because of my gun A.D.D.)

I just just love factory ammo exterior ballistic comparisons...what is this the 1960's?!?! I thought this was the Long Range Hunting website, where we take our learning and shooting practices to the inth degree of measure, not what's available on the shelf?! Of all the named cartridges in this made for noobs report, I would use the 6.5x284N, not because I have one, but because it's the better of all listed.

I just just love factory ammo exterior ballistic comparisons...what is this the 1960's?!?! I thought this was the Long Range Hunting website, where we take our learning and shooting practices to the inth degree of measure, not what's available on the shelf?! Of all the named cartridges in this made for noobs report, I would use the 6.5x284N, not because I have one, but because it's the better of all listed.
I am with you I shoot a 6.5 Super LR and the 130 RDF, out of my 22" barrel it is running 2920 suppressed. I can get it to 3000 but the primers are flat. It will out shoot the Accubond all day and twice on Sunday.

I would use the 6.5x284N, not because I have one, but because it's the better of all listed.

Isn't that what all the 6.5 creedmoor shooters say?

Very debatable and subjective. Everybody likes something different, and that's why we have lots of choices, and everybody is entitled to their opinion.

Isn't that what all the 6.5 creedmoor shooters say?

Very debatable and subjective. Everybody likes something different, and that's why we have lots of choices, and everybody is entitled to their opinion.
I have 3-6.5 Creeds, 1-6 Creed and still deciding between a 22 or 25 Creed, they are as advertised and extend my shooting season to all year long, that said, in a pinch I would use 6.5 anything for Elk sized game, but I'v other stuff for Elks.

I'm shooting a 6.5/06 AI Trueflite barrel 26" suppressed, 147eldm traveling at 3000fps that's just back from where pressure signs showed. groups 1/2 inch at 100 yds and I have more load development to do, it's had about 100 rounds through it for fire forming and 50 rounds at targets and a few deer. I retrieved a projectile from just under the skin on the off side of a red stag shot at 801yrd retaining 88% of its weight, did great damage going through a rear lung shot. No hype on the cartridge, just good math. Build owes me $1500nzd $1000usd ex scope. A good number of creedmors coming up 2nd hand over here now at great prices lol... the marketing was superb! I agree with low recoil = potentially better accuracy but the 06AI suppressed is low recoil. We have no suppressor laws in NZ. Added comment - energy dumped at reasonable ranges suggests it'd be a fine elk choice

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the 1960s and I do not think the article is trying to change the LRH/S ways or this website but rather a choice for those that do not reload (target audience). Like it or not, the off shelf ammo accuracy has significantly improved and provides choices for the non-reloaders or would be LRH/S guys and I think it is great. In addition, not all members here are LRH/S or reloaders (some of which have full custom rifles (yeah I know it's hard to believe but they still exist). Cheers!

ADDED:

For instance, >>> https://www.longrangehunting.com/threads/what-caliber.213088/

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts