6.5mm 150g ABLR.

7mm man. You are way up there in elevation. I'm at 31 feet lol. But I have a 1-8tw Krieger in my 6.5x300 and run those 153.5 BERGERS and they are fine atleast at 100 yards. Hard to find long ranges in NJ. But might be getting access to farther distances to stretch its legs. I got her going just under 3200 fps. Probably 3150 will be max with N570. I am onto US869 NOW. I am pushing forward to find pressure so will see where it's at. Right now I am 3165 with zero pressure noted. More loads developing today in this rain storm.
You should be well above those velocities.

I have a 264 Win Mag Ackley Improved with a 28" proof barrel and can easily hit 3300fps with 156 EOL Bergers. I've hit 3400 but it was so close to the edge on pressure that one would extract easily and the next may have a stiff bolt and clicker.

I currently run it at an easy 3150 to save brass and barrel life.

I don't know where in Jersey you are but you are always welcome to sling led at the bridgeville rifle & pistol club here in Delaware. We have 100, 200, 300, 600 and 1000 yard ranges. The 1000 is only open a few times a month for practice before Palma or F-class. We have many pistol ranges too. You have to be sponsored by a member, which I am. Just putting it out there.
Just 30 minutes away from AC near Smithville if you ever heard of it. But anyways thx for the offer. Is it north or south Deleware

I have a 264 Win Mag Ackley Improved with a 28" proof barrel and can easily hit 3300fps with 156 EOL Bergers. I've hit 3400 but it was so close to the edge on pressure that one would extract easily and the next may have a stiff bolt and clicker.

That was just N570. I didn't see at the range an amazingly slight rounds ejector mark at 79.3 gr of N570. So figure 79.0 is safe max.

US869 should be good past that. I am loading more ladder as I type this to see where US869 gets me.
But I agree it should do much more than what the N570 did.

7mm man. You are way up there in elevation. I'm at 31 feet lol. But I have a 1-8tw Krieger in my 6.5x300 and run those 153.5 BERGERS and they are fine atleast at 100 yards. Hard to find long ranges in NJ. But might be getting access to farther distances to stretch its legs. I got her going just under 3200 fps. Probably 3150 will be max with N570. I am onto US869 NOW. I am pushing forward to find pressure so will see where it's at. Right now I am 3165 with zero pressure noted. More loads developing today in this rain storm.

That was just N570. I didn't see at the range an amazingly slight rounds ejector mark at 79.3 gr of N570. So figure 79.0 is safe max.

US869 should be good past that. I am loading more ladder as I type this to see where US869 gets me.
But I agree it should do much more than what the N570 did.
I can hit those velocities with N570, RL33 and Ramshot LRT.

I can hit those velocities with N570, RL33 and Ramshot LRT.
Not sure why I got that unbelievably slight mark on my brass but it did. Everything else was golden. Zero issues with bolt lift or primers. Perfect. I was telling myself it can't be but will see was going to load up more to see but .... I just wish it was something more dramatic to say stop you idiot. Like bolt won't open or primer falls out on its own lol. But a scant mark that needs perfect lighting with +3 glasses from cvs. Lol.

What you are seeing at 100yds and then 200 is precisely why I do load development at 300.
Other than the load being " out of tune" for the gun I'd like to get a more precise explanation myself!

Wind is often a factor than we would like to admit. In my data log, I make a small drawing of the wind directions for the day and approximate velocity.

For example, I work up a load on a day with a slight wind from right to left at 3-5 mph, shooting bug holes. A couple of days later, we have a 5 mph breeze in my face, switching slightly from left to right at times. ON this day, my groups go to pot shooting 3/4". Simple, inexpensive wind flags are worth their weight in gold.

M.M,
Did the Bergers leave you wanting more in the way of accuracy or performance on game terminally?
Thanks
I will be trying the 142 able here shortly in a 6.5x300. But I hear they are finicky
When I tested them along side the 142g ABLR, the 156g EOL did strange things 3 times at 800 and beyond, whereas the ABLR did exactly as advertised. I have not had great results with certain Berger bullets at our elevations above 800 metres. All of the OTM's I have tried have done weird things, which include, yawing on game, pencilling through or disintegrating.
Accuracy on all have been excellent.
I hunted with the 30cal 210g Hybrid for many years out of 1 of my 300WM's, never failed me, but when I started LR hunting, the 215g made it's way into my heart, then availability ceased here. Had to find something to use and the 210g ABLR is now my favourite in that cartridge. I still use 180g/200g Accubonds for normal ranges to about 500metres when required, even in my SPS 300RUM.

Cheers.

The 200gr AB out of that RUM has to be impressive.
With a .588 G1? It's not awful "out there" either.
It's a good compromise in all 3 of my 30cals. 300WM, 300 Bee & 300RUM. I never got my 300-416 Rigby Improved 35° chambered, it is a laser on paper. Roughly 250fps faster than a RUM, maybe more with powder like H50BMG.

Cheers.

It's a good compromise in all 3 of my 30cals. 300WM, 300 Bee & 300RUM. I never got my 300-416 Rigby Improved 35° chambered, it is a laser on paper. Roughly 250fps faster than a RUM, maybe more with powder like H50BMG.

Cheers.
MM, I know you are talking about the 156 bergers but have you tried the 153.5 begers? I was wondering if they may have " fixed" any issues that may have been present with the 156's. As I have read more than my share of not so good reports with 156's. Just curious. I thought I read somewhere that the 153.5 was the better option. But it could of been a dream. I have zero actual proof so its worth much less than dog dodo

MM, I know you are talking about the 156 bergers but have you tried the 153.5 begers? I was wondering if they may have " fixed" any issues that may have been present with the 156's. As I have read more than my share of not so good reports with 156's. Just curious. I thought I read somewhere that the 153.5 was the better option. But it could have been a dream. I have zero actual proof so its worth much less than dog dodo
Getting any Berger bullets here is thoroughly hit & miss in regard to having an ample supply. The importation has changed hands several times. I was just lucky to get a 500 bulk lot of the 210g Hybrid, it was a fluke that there was a bulk lot available. Someone had ordered them and never paid.
I haven't thought of getting any Berger bullets TBH, but if those 153.5g are getting good reports, then maybe they are worth trying.
I'm still waiting on the 150g ABLR to show up in the post, Easter has delayed arrival. I will do a comparison against loading them with the 142g ABLR with pics when I get them.

Cheers.

Recent Posts