6.5 x 55

curry792

how would the 6.5 x 55 do one white tail. may also use for coyote hunting long range.saw a cz 550 with full stock i realy like. anyone know if it would be a good gun or not.thanks

Perfect for deer. I've been using one for many years and have never had a deer go more than 20-30 yards. I also load 80 Sierra HP's for prairie dog shooting and have taken a few coyotes with it. The CZ is a sweet littl rifle.

For target shooting, you can get to excess of 1000 yards, even over 1200 yards. At least if you have more than 24" barrel.

Do you reload?

great round, extremely accurate. I've killed, antelope,deer,elk,coyotes, etc. with mine . It's one of the original long range target rounds.

With the proper twist in the barrel, 8 to 8.5 twist you can shoot the long 140 to 142 gr bullets and really reach out there like has been said. I have killed deer out to a little over 300 yards with 120 Nosler BT and Sierra SP bullets in my sporter 96 Swede Mauser. I left the 29" barrel on it and with under 46,000 CUP loads for it I get 3000 fps with 120 and 2850 fps with 140 gr bullets. One of the 4350 powders, I like Accurate Arms, will make it move and be really accurate. With the rifle you mentioned you can load it up to higher pressure than for the 96 Mauser. The 100 gr Sierra HP is a BOMB on varmints. It will red mist one and scatter pieces. With the 130 Nosler Accubond or the 140 Partition Elk size game are in the picture also.

thanks for the input . the cz 550fs only has a 20 inch barrel but think i still may give it a try.i like the short barrels.

What's the twist rate? If it's 1-8 or 1-8.5 you can shoot the 140 class bullets . Try reloader 17, you will be very happy with the velocity numbers.

It would seem strange to think a 260 or Creedmoor is good for long range targets or Deer but the Swede would not be when you look at powder cap. & in modern guns.

I would go with a 24" tube though with this smaller bore for the same reason the 20" in a 260 is not as efficient as a 20" 308.

I see that Howa has a barrelled action, that & a quality stock would be a real bargain & a potential shooter.

i am also looking at the tc precission hunter in6.5 credmore, anyone have one or know anything about them. is tc better than cz.is the credmore better than the swede.thanks

6.5x55 is the finest white tail cartridge known to man, inside of 600 yards. I have a Steyr SBS Prohunter Mountain (20" barrel) and it has killed deer out to 300 yards with no holdover. I have killed 13 deer with it and my ex killed 5 or more, none took more than three steps, most fall DRT. I recommend either a Berger VLD Hunting or a SGK. Both are terribly deadly on deer with that round. With the short barrel you can make up for your loss of barrel length with a hot primer like the Fed 215, I get 2750 out of a 140 Game King with 47.5 grains of RL22 but I would work up to that, I found another good load with H4350 and the VLD but can't remember it off the top of my head. If it is a european gun you will likely want to stretch them out to about 3.1+ inches. Hope this helps. Absolutely wonderful deer gun though.

On the subject of 6.5x55, My ex wifes New Husband informed me that it was a decent choice for a woman or a child, but not much of a mans gun. I laughed out loud at the guy, said "You don't shoot much do you?" I like whatever gun makes them fall down right there. I have had more deer run after being hit with my .300 win mag than a 6.5x55. I have guns that kick like beasts as well, and I love them all, and hunt with all of them, but that one is THE go to gun when stand hunting, because it is deadly. I can't understand how people think it must have a magnum at the end to be a "Man's Gun". I have seen a lot of real men that killed a lot of deer with a .243.

Last edited:
I'm absolutely loving my 6.5x55. Can't wait to draw first blood with it this fall. I'll be hunting Mule deer and Elk and don't have any reservations about the caliber choice. I'm pushing 140grn Hornady SSTs at 2875fps from a 24" barrel at a 1.5grns under listed max into .5" groups. With a 1:9 twist you'll likely shoot the 120grn and lighter bullets better but that doesn't mean you won't be able to shoot the heavies though. Mine is 1:8 but I had it built specifically for 140grn pills. I think you'd do better with a barrel longer than 20" but I've found myself lusting after the CZ550FS and Sako 85 Bavarian Carbine, they are both great looking handy rifles. As for it not being a "man gun" I cry ********! You don't have to be kicked out from under your hair to humanely kill game so why subject yourself to punishing recoil? It is supposed to fun not painful.

Warning! This thread is more than 14 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.