6.5 x 47?

EJN

What can you guys tell me about the 6.5 X 47? I am thinking about building one after I spoke to a guy today that just had one built this month. Can the round be use on deer as well as groundhogs? How fast will it shoot?

Thanks

from what I am reading, it is the cats meow in light to medium weight bullets. To shoot the heavies, it is okay, but the better option would be the 260, or something bigger. I am considering the 6.5X55 AI and the 260AI for pushing the big bullets. Share the info. I am also considering the 6X47.

Tank

From what I have reading the 6.5x47 will shoot 130gr Berger's at 3000fps, which is plenty for deer size game.The 260 Rem will handle the 142ge bullets alittle better than the 6.5x47, but basically identical from a ballistic standpoint.
I would recommend the 6.5x47 over the 260 Rem on brass quality alone.Lapua makes brass for the 6.5x47.If you want to shoot heavier than 140gr bullets, just jump up to a 7mm.
As far as ground hogs, I would look at a 20 Tactical ( Lapua brass)or 204 Ruger. Either of these rounds are deadly on groundhogs to coyotes, and do it with alot less recoil and powder than the 6.5 cal, not that the 6.5 has alot of recoil.

The 6.5 is an excellent deer caliber, and well as for groundhogs.
Disregard the 20cal recommendation. Thought you were asking about prairie dogs. Got them on my mind recently.

Last edited:
If you're building one, you better have some small rifle primers on hand. I have not seen them anywhere for months...

For me, I'm leaning towards a .260 just because I've got a mess of .243 brass and large rifle primers...

Funny you brought up the 6.5x55 improved. That's a nice little cartridge from what I have read. Hopefully someone will chime in who actually shoots one!

Between a 6.5x55 improved and a 6.5-06, I'm not sure there's much difference. Again, for me, I'd lean towards a 6.5-06 because I've got a mess of 30-06 brass...

Between a 6.5x55 improved and a 6.5-06, I'm not sure there's much difference. Again, for me, I'd lean towards a 6.5-06 because I've got a mess of 30-06 brass...

So is the 6.5X55 improved as big as an 06'? I'm new to this caliber and just think it is another .264 caliber. If that is the case then I will go the route of the 06'.

Curious,
Tank

As far as the .260 Rem. brass quality issue. I just received a batch of Nosler Custom .260's. I have to say they seem to be on par with Lapua and perhaps slightly better. They are truly ready to be loaded....they've been trimmed to length, chamfered and the flash holes seem to be drilled like the Lapua's....also pretty nice they are weight sorted and packaged.

I've got a new project rifle. It's based on a Remington 700 stainless short action. Bartlein did the smith work and put on a 31" stainless medium palma barrel. She's chambered in .260 Rem Improved. I'm looking at using the 142 gr. SMK's for 1K BR shooting.

The 6.5mm x 55 swede sure looks interesting....as does the 6.5-06...but I didn't have a spare long action around to try one.

Wayne

I searched that 6.5x47 and it appears to be a sweet deal, especially if building a gun on an existing action with limited mag length. I was fantasizing about changing my tikka, and with the slightly shorter COAL of the 6.5x47, there would be no worries about seating depth....

Ahh.... To dream.....

I just got a 6.5X47 rifle a few months ago. It's my first and only custom rig. I love it. Was shooting out to 500 yards yesterday and it was putting 4 shot groups inside 2.5". I s'pose this has more to do with the quality of rifle than with anything magical about the 6.5X47 cartridge. But there's not much recoil and it launches 123 grain scenars at a decent velocity (I'm shooting 'em at 2,800fps, but they can be pushed faster).

It'll work great on deer and other medium game; and, I'm sure it would be a good choice for groundhogs where you won't be doing a lot of high volume shooting.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.