6.5 x 300wby

Kaptoe

Question for the gunsmith here. Have a savage in 338 win and considering a referral to the 6.5 300wb y

Parent cases are different between 375h&h and 300h&h. Boltface is the same and only seeing about a .15 inch difference at the shoulder. I wouldn't think there would be feeding issues

Anyone done this conversion? Or course will use gauges and keep the 338win barrel

Last edited:
Question for the gunsmith here. Have a savage in 338 win and considering a referral to the 6.5 300wb y

Parent cases are different between 375h&h and 300h&h. Boltface is the same and only seeing about a .15 inch difference at the shoulder. I wouldn't think there would be feeding issues

Anyone done this conversion? Or course will use gauges and keep the 338win barrel

My question would be "why"? WBY brass is typically very expensive and while the double radius shoulder has some advantages it's not friendly for reloading and a bit difficult to get set up right for consistency.

You can get similar performance with quite a few other 6.5's on the market and not be stuck with hard to come by and very expensive WBY brass.

As far as your original question I don't see why it should be a problem as long as you have adequate magazine length. The 6.5x300wby is pretty long if I remember right.

This will be my 4th 6.5 caliber rifle

The moment you contemplate "weatherby" throw out barrel life discussions and cost. Owning and feeding a weatherby doesn't follow most other rifle practicalities other than very flat shooting is a significant hunting advantage out west

it's about a 130gr high bc projectile at 3500fps. If I didn't have a creedmoor or already have shot out two 6.5x284 barrels I would consider a 6.5PRC

The choice for me is between the 26 Nosler and the wby. The wby is faster and load development does not scare me as an experienced reloader

This will be my 4th 6.5 caliber rifle

The moment you contemplate "weatherby" throw out barrel life discussions and cost. Owning and feeding a weatherby doesn't follow most other rifle practicalities other than very flat shooting is a significant hunting advantage out west

it's about a 130gr high bc projectile at 3500fps. If I didn't have a creedmoor or already have shot out two 6.5x284 barrels I would consider a 6.5PRC

The choice for me is between the 26 Nosler and the wby. The wby is faster and load development does not scare me as an experienced reloader

Well the 6.5x375 Ruger will give you that kind of performance without the WBY issues so you might consider it.

We had a friend that shot WBY's exclusively for many years including the 6.5. Awesome plains game gun both here and in Africa but he didn't mind paying ridiculous prices for factory ammo HA!

I got bit by the 6.5 Bug a few years back as well and when a very nice 6.5LRM became available at a price I could afford I couldn't refuse so we're in similar boats.

Merry Christmas and have a great NY.

Warning! This thread is more than 5 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts