6.5 STW shooting results

dmaxguy2008

So I have had this gun for a couple years now(m700, McGowan 28" tube, trued action, BC medalist/tactical stock, Bushnell elite 3200) Took an elk 2 years ago at 350-400 yards don't remember exactly. I know that's seems irrelevant but point is with a 140 going 3390~ at the muzzle it with drop and elk like a bad habit at that range.
Anyway I've been shooting 140 Berger hunting vlds using cci 250 primers and 80gr of H1000. Recently went out with a buddy shooting rocks. We shot at 845, 1120, 1450, and 1625yrds. I was using a program called Strelok Pro for a drop chart. And I must say it is awesome! Dead nuts to 1450! After that I believe I was encountering problems with my scope. Where it called for 39moa I had to dial back to 32moa to hit center as far as elevation. But after dialing down to 32 moa we shot at 845 dialed it into the scope and it was right on. I am guessing that because I was close to the end of my travel it was affecting the actual adjustment in my scope. A side note I have been unsuccessful finding 7STW brass anywhere!!! Been forced to try Bertram 8mm rem mag brass. Had to beat every shell out of the chamber. Very frustrating. On a positive note I hit a rock that was 3.5'x4' 3for3 @1620 probably the most excited I've ever been while shooting! If we get back over there soon I'll post some pics of the impacts. For if there's not pics it never happened
Today I decided after I fire formed all of the 8mm brass I would try and figure out the sticking problem. I trimmed and deburred all of the 8mm brass. Loaded three rounds with matrix ballistics 160 vlds. Used 76, 76.5 and 77gr of H1000. First shot chrony'd at 3231 case stuck. Second shot at 3270 case stuck. Decided to stop there. Came back and measured the necks and OD and thickness both fired and unfired. Seems the 8mm brass would benefit from having the necks turned down. Wall thickness on the 8mm was .014 vs .0105 of the 7 stw brass.
Don't take any of this info as gospel I'm nobody. Just some guy that lives in the middle of no where that has a bunch of guns and likes to shoot them.

You may have to look @ nosler brass. It is available in 300h@h and 7stw so you can neck down to 6.5mm without so much to trim; it is pricy though. 7Stw brass has been a serious pain to find lately. The last stw brass I got was actually once fired, and I don't usually do used brass.

I'm not familiar with Bertram but you might want to do a rudimentary internal case volume measurement on your original brass vs the Bertram. If it has less internal volume you might have to decrease your load substantially to get down in a range that doesn't lock your chamber every time. I personally don't think that the neck turning alone will alleviate your pressure problems if it's locking the bolt now.

Retumbo or something in the next slower burn category than H1000 might help you maintain velocity and get the pressure down. I would think with the 6.5 STW being pretty overbore it would work well.

Forgive my ignorance....how would I go about doing this? Chamber polishing that is?

I have some 1200 grit lapping compound. It's like a paste. I purchased a bore brush large enough so when I wrapped a piece of T-shirt around it it was snug in the chamber. I put a generous amount of the lapping compound on the outside of the T-shirt. This was screwed into the the business end of a jointed bore rod and installed that in a portable drill. I ran it for about five seconds going back and forth with the drill. Then I cleaned the heck out of it and fired a slightly hot load. The case came out, but had tinny scratches on it. So I did the same thing again paying particular attention to the cleaning the chamber. Now it works like it should.

It not that the bolt won't open the case gets stuck in the chamber! Bolt opens fine. I'll do the case capacity thing tonight. And report back.

Ok. I thought you had a major over pressure situation. In that case measure neck diameter of a fired case vs loaded. You should have a minimum of .003-.005. Or a loaded round should measure .293 and a fired round should be .297-.298+. If not, neck turning might help.

So since I started this thread I'll put what ever I want in it :).

I just dropped my 6.5 muzzle unloader off at a gunsmiths today. It's getting sent off to somewhere in Ohio to get a m-16 extractor installed and the action/bolt and barrel are all getting nitrided! Pretty pumped to have a functioning durable rifle at some point in the near future!

The reason for the extractor install was I changed out the factory extractor with limited improvement for results. It ejected maybe 3 rounds then quit. Found that the Bertram brass was about .002" thicker at the rim and pretty much determined that this was the issue. The nitriding figured it couldn't hurt to try it so I'll post results when I get it back along with some pictures.

Ok. I thought you had a major over pressure situation. In that case measure neck diameter of a fired case vs loaded. You should have a minimum of .003-.005. Or a loaded round should measure .293 and a fired round should be .297-.298+. If not, neck turning might help.

I think he has a VERY tight neck! My buddy had a 300 wsm that acted the same way. I did the measure check that you described and found he had zero neck clearance. The smith chambered it for a "turned" neck and did not tell him:roll eyes:
Since he did not want to turn necks, we had it neck reamed and the problem was solved......Rich

Don't use that diamond dust, you'll do more damage than good !! Better yet take it to someone who knows what the heck they're doing...it's not worth screwing things up...take a grain of powder or two out and see what happens...what the neck diameter before and after firing ?? Surely to god it's stamped on barrel...don't polish anything yet!!!!!!

Been forced to try Bertram 8mm rem mag brass. Had to beat every shell out of the chamber. Very frustrating.

In my experience with using Bertram Brass for the last 25 years, only when absolutely necessary, we, several of us in the shop, have found that brass to be soft which will account for the sticking.

Regards.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.