6.5 STW Loads

Budman

Looking for load data with 142 grain and up. Search didn't reveil any results. Thanks for any help.

Hey Budman, I know that this is a little spotty, but it's a start:
http://www.accuratereloading.com/65mmstw.html

I'm shooting a 6.5-300 Weatherby, which is very similar. I used to use a lot of H-870, a good performer that accurately drives 140s to 3,400, but ferociously fouling and now discontinued.

Even though data is shown at AR for 85 grain bullets, I'd not waste the time. Besides their extremely lame BC/SD, I smoked every one I tried - blew up at the muzzle, they don't do well beyond 4,200 fps. . .

I've had very good results with Sierra 140 MKs, 142 SMKs, Berger 140 VLDs and Lapua Scenars in 139 & 123 grain weights. Nosler 120 BTs are quite accurate up close, but really tank at ranges longer than about 700-800 yards - their published BC isn't right . . .

I've had excellent accuracy with Retumbo, easily driving the Lapua 123 Scenars at 3,450, but it is a little fast for the 140/142 range in my gun. I can only get about 3,175 with a 140 before showing excessive pressures - not good compared to what I know it will do with the right powder.

I am using Fed 210M primers with Retumbo. I used to use Fed 215M, but found that my extreme spreads were half that with the 210s. IIRC, I had to add another grain of powder to get the velocity back when going to "regular" primers. WLR might be a good candidate, slightly hotter than most regulars, but not quite a "magnum" brisiance.

My next powder to try in it will be H-50BMG. I had tried H-5010 some time ago, but it seemed no better than H-870 for velocities and H-870 was still in production, so I stuck with it. Now, I believe 5010 is also discontinued.

Do you know your case's water capacity? If it's reasonably close to mine, I will give you some charge weights that worked well for me.

Thanks Ed, the case capasity should be the same for the Wby and the STW. Searching the net produced very little info and one wildcat book showed a max load of 84 grains of h-870 with a 140 grain. Any data you have will be greatly appreciated. Dave

Hi Dave,

BTW, the water capacity of my cases (Powley method) is 93 grains.

Here is some data that works in my 6.5-300 Weatherby rifle:
(all loads w/F/C215M primer unless noted)

H-870:
Nosler 120 BT: 83.0 @ 3,550 fps (working load)
Sierra 140 SMK: 82.0 @ 3,400 fps (working load)

Retumbo
Lapua 123 Scenar: 76.5 @ 3,450 fps (working load) Fed 210m primer
Lapua 139 Scenar: 73.5 @ 3,175 fps (MAX)

H-50BMG
Lapua 139 Scenar: 78.0 @ __?__ fps (MAX)

The H-870 is so dirty to burn, leaving very hard carbon/calcium, that even though I have some left, I've been trying other powders since I had the barrel set back and recrowned.

I used Berger 140 VLDs with it, same charge as 140 SMKs, and they shot very well too. Having a few hundred SMKs on hand, I never shot more than a hundred Bergers through it.

FWIW - A friend in PA uses a 6.5-300WWH as well, and he is getting another couple grains of H-870 in his, but velocities seem to be running about the same for both of us.

Retumbo shows promise for the lighter bullets, and the 123 Scenar/Retumbo load is giving me 1/2" groups at 200 yards, but Retumbo's velocity with heavier bullets is disappointing.

I hope to give H-50BMG a better workout. The load I show was 1/2 grain below ejector marks, and pretty accurate so far, but I didn't get a chance to chronograph it yet.

My H-5010 data is spotty, having never really given it much of a workout. Were it not discontinued, it would also be a "possible" and I'd try it more..

I did try IMR 7828 when it first came out, but it's way too fast for any reasonably heavy bullet weight in my gun.

I agree that the two cartridges (6.5 STW & 6.5 WWH) should be quite close, but I'm sure you know to be extremely cautious with starting loads. I concern myself with startiing too low, and running the risk of detonation with such slow powders and big cases. Sierra advised me to "just start with .264 WinMag loads", but those loads contradicted the Powley Ballistic Computer and ARE seriously low compared to where I ended up.

I was on my own when I first started with this in the early 90s, and used the Powley calculator to find starting charge weights. Amazingly enough, Mr. Powley's gadget predicted my H-870 / 140 SMK velocity within 25-30 fps before the first shot was fired.

Good luck with your rifle, I've had a blast with mine. I use 18.5 moa to come up from my 100 yard zero to get on at 1k.

When I finish this barrel off, it will be a very tough call to choose between the 6.5 WWH I'm using now, the 6.5 STW or the 7 STW. I love that 6.5 bullet at 3,400+ fps, but, after torching my throat at 750 rounds, the increased barrel life of the 7 STW does have it's attraction.

Thanks again Ed
This will give me enough data to start with. 3400 is about where I figured she would top out at with a 30 inch barrel. At least now I can start getting all the parts ordered and start the long wait time till happiness. Dave

I have been messing with a 6.5 STW for a couple of years
my best load is
77 gr of Retumbo[MAX LOAD ON MY RIFLE]
142 SMK
Fed 215M
@3350 fps
very accurate load in my rifle
rem action trued with 28" Pacnor 3 groove
i have a hole page of recipes from Layne Simpson
i will try to find them and post them

Thanks Greek, I use a lot of Retumbo with the 7 STW and this load will get tested. Dave

I am a long time 6.5 sufferer. I have just bought a pound of Vhitavuori N-570 and tried it in my 6.5 WSM with 140 Berger Hybrids and 160 Sierra SMPs. I can get about half a grain more of it than Retumbo in the case and correstponding 20 fps gain. It is a coarse stick powder. Each kernel weighs 0.03 grains. It is not as coarse as 50 BMG. N-570 burns as clean as Retumbo. Use magnum primers. 210Ms increased the ES and SD.

I have often wondered about VV 24N41. See Mark Pinkstons work with the .264 Thorr.

I never did get any velocity out of H-870 in the .264 Win Mag. This was a surplus powder and what I had was a disappointment. You could compress as much as you wanted to into a .264 case and it showed no signs of pressure or velocity. I even tried 1.5 grains of Red Dot over the primer to try to light a fire under it.

Warning! This thread is more than 12 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.