6.5 SS (Sherman Shortmag)

Elkaholic...

I also have Mr. Whidden making me dies for my wildcats 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir.....

I too did not like the waiting period with the big ones you mentioned..

I really like your new 6.5mm concept, I have always questioned the 6.5 WSM short neck, this might just be the way to go, coupled with the Norma brass it looks really good...

I know exactly what you mean by changes Happen, I bet Mr. Kiff and the gals at PT&G are relieved all my reamers are finally in production... have been hassling them for the last four months with all my ideas and almost daily changes ... LOL !

do you know If I can convert my M96 Swedish Mauser to the 6.5 SS ? or is the case too fat and will require extensive modifications to make feed properly ? the Swede's box measures 3.234"
max inside length and your 6.5 Sherman won't work.... hoping to do a simple rechamber and slight mods then burn up the 1901 barrel to form brass and finally rebarrel with a 28" Brux 8.5 twist I have laying around

Elkaholic...

I also have Mr. Whidden making me dies for my wildcats 338 Wolverine and 375 Mjolnir.....

I too did not like the waiting period with the big ones you mentioned..

I really like your new 6.5mm concept, I have always questioned the 6.5 WSM short neck, this might just be the way to go, coupled with the Norma brass it looks really good...

I know exactly what you mean by changes Happen, I bet Mr. Kiff and the gals at PT&G are relieved all my reamers are finally in production... have been hassling them for the last four months with all my ideas and almost daily changes ... LOL !

do you know If I can convert my M96 Swedish Mauser to the 6.5 SS ? or is the case too fat and will require extensive modifications to make feed properly ? the Swede's box measures 3.234"
max inside length and your 6.5 Sherman won't work.... hoping to do a simple rechamber and slight mods then burn up the 1901 barrel to form brass and finally rebarrel with a 28" Brux 8.5 twist I have laying around

I am not that familiar with the m96 as far as pressure, etc., but you have plenty of room in the box. You probably would have to modify the rails a little but I can't imagine that being a big deal. Don't get those gals too confused at PTG, you may have misprints for YEARS:D.......Rich

Any updates?

My buddy has connected on a couple of critters with my SS, but I had a bad season for elk so don't have anything to report personally. I hope to do some deer hunting soon though. The wolves have pretty well ruined my elk hunting area. "Bigngreen" has had some sucess with his SS. I think he killed a bull at 820 yards.......Rich

My buddy has connected on a couple of critters with my SS, but I had a bad season for elk so don't have anything to report personally. I hope to do some deer hunting soon though. The wolves have pretty well ruined my elk hunting area. "Bigngreen" has had some sucess with his SS. I think he killed a bull at 820 yards.......Rich
Now Rich, don't go tellin fairy tales.....You know good and well you have to have a .338 RUM or bigger to kill an elk beyond 500 yards... :D

So just wondering, but how would this beautiful cartridge work with a 7-twist barrel and necked down to 6mm shooting the Matrix 117s? How detrimental would it be to barrel life going down that far?

So just wondering, but how would this beautiful cartridge work with a 7-twist barrel and necked down to 6mm shooting the Matrix 117s? How detrimental would it be to barrel life going down that far?

It would be pretty hard on barrels I would think. I don't think you would need a 7 twist though? It would definitely crank out some rpm!......Rich

I realize this is an old project however I ran I to a guy last weekend who was shooting something similar at a prs match. I am very interested in building a ss. Are reamers and dies still available?