6.5 Sherman Recipes

Finally got back out to shoot a little today. I picked up some 143 ELDX's and they were burning a hole in my bench.
THIS RECIPE IS FOR THE 6.5SS (NOT THE SHERMAN)

7mm Norma Saum brass, F210, 60 RL26, 143 ELDX, MV 3201'
Bullets were seated .010" off the lands at 3.08" coal (long bullets!)

After checking velocity with the mag speed, I fired 3 shots at 100yds. The first 2 shots were the top 2 and I called the third low. I figured the first 2 were where zero was for longer range. I then backed off to 780 yards and set up the bipod and rest. The wind was blowing at about 6-7 mph from about 7:30. I fired the first 2 shots, and the wind switched clear around to about 10:30 at the same speed. I figured the drift at about the same so held the same aiming point. This was with NO load development with this bullet! I feel that with a little tweaking, it will perform VERY well. It only took 13moa to be on at 783 yards. It takes 19.2moa at 100yds., and I still have 1000 ft./lbs.@ 1210 yards and 1775' velocity to expand the bullet!
I would like to have seen the group if the wind had not changed on me before the third shot?
Below are the results:
View attachment 58437

View attachment 58438

Nice shooting Rich! Looking forward to your load development. Seems your not far off considering no load development. Seems you were sub 1/2 moa at 780 yards with tricky winds.

Cant wait to see how a 30" Nitrided barrel, HBN coated ELD X bullets shoot with my 6.5SS build! You guys should have the bugs worked out for me!

Ray

I went back out today and shot a few more 143's. I didn't get too much more load testing because I wanted to check expansion at distance. I tried to hit some milk jugs lined up at 1080yds., but had such a gusty crosswind that I couldn't hit them the first 3 shots so moved up to 780 as I was low on ammo. The bullet penetrated 3 milk jugs filled with h2o, a pair of old rolled up coveralls:D, and bounced off of a pail full of sand. The bullet expanded very well and retained 95.5 grs. so shed about 38%. Impact velocity was 2230'.
I did try the same load seated .030" off the lands and it shot 3/8". I tried a max load of 62 grains which chrono'd just over 3300'. It left an extractor mark and bolt lift was a little heavy. I think these 143 ELDX bullets are going to be great performers for long range game (or target).
143 eldx h2o jugs 780.jpg

143 eldx expanded 780 yds.jpg

143 eldx coal 2.889.jpg

143 eldx 3302'.jpg

Very impressive Rich!
Does not seem you are loosing any velocity due to longer bearing surface as compared to other 140ish class bullets either.
Lots of positives in this bullet design, what's the catch?

Ray

Very impressive Rich!
Does not seem you are loosing any velocity due to longer bearing surface as compared to other 140ish class bullets either.
Lots of positives in this bullet design, what's the catch?

Ray

Doesn't seem like the bearing surface is a problem when I reached 3302. Wait until we get some HBN on those babies:D And then there is you with your 30" tube.....YIKES!

I went out today and did some expansion tests at low velocity. I loaded up 17 grains of 4198 behind the 143 and shot it into a bucket of moist clay with carpet behind it to catch the bullet. I strapped the mag speed on and shot point blank into the bucket. The bullet penetrated through about 1 foot of clay and exited into the carpet. MV was 1521', and as you can see, it had pretty good expansion. I feel they would expand somewhat down to about 1300'. I shot some jugs filled with water at 1300 yes. I am pretty impressed with this bullet. The b.c. held spot on at 1300 yards; 29.5 moa with the 6.5 SS.
143 reduced load expansion.jpg

Check out Swamplord"s thread. He was shooting water jugs in his wildcat. Not sure what the impact velocity was, but MV was just over 3200 fps. Held together nice.

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts