6.5 Sherman load data needed

ramrod79

Hey guys just in process of building a 6.5 Sherman ,and Rich has been great to deal with for data , and I have sifted through the forum but thought I would like to have my own thread to look in on so I would like to hear from all of you that shoot one . I am planning on the 140 Berger but maybe the 160 Matrix ( not decided yet) I have a ton of Retumbo ,and H 4831sc so guys I would appreciate your data trim length ,and all the good stuff I will need to make this cartridge shoot . Oh yea what brass you guys using I cannot get my hands on Norma 270 brass but Nosler is available although its expensive ,and a bit on soft side.

Thanks

I am using 270 Nosler brass in my Sherman. My lot is very heavy and I need to reduce powder charge because of this. I to would like to find some Norma but hard to in Canada. The 140 Hybrid shoots really good. 150 Matrix does as well. Have not shot enough 160's to have an opinion. VV N570 and R26 have got us the most speed. 3300 fps plus is possible but kind of hard on brass.

That is moving great speeds I cannot wait to get this thing shooting gonna be fun. I did however find brass but it is like $70 for 25 thats a bit much in my book . I was thinking maybe Hornady brass may be another option but I don't know anyone who uses to give me a point of view

I use H1000, Retumbo and RL-26 with 140 VLDs. 60.2 H1000 3035fps,shoots in the .1s easy on brass. 61.5 of RL 26 3140, shoots in the .4s and .5s. 62 Retumbo is around 3100 same accuracy. I am at sea level. You will love the round. I use 270 Norma brass

Jay

Thanks Guys this is the info I needed it seems everyone who has this round is very happy with how it preforms I think 160s will be fun to play with as well.

I am using 65 gr of Rl 33 and the 160 matrix touching the lands at 2950 MV, mild load that shoots lights out. I started load development with 210M primers and was getting accuracy but not the ES I was hoping for. Switched to 215M's and ES dropped to around 15

I keep herring about RL 33 but its a ghost in Canada!! I would like to find some just to try but i think winning lottery will come first .

Well Guys it has been a bit but rifle is complete brass is formed ,and ready to shoot . I did manage to get a fair bit of N 570 as it has come highly recomened ,and a bunch of 150 ,160 Matrix so if anyone has any load data they would like to share using N 570 with 140 Berger 150,160 matrix it would be greatly appreciated .

Don't have my notes here but do remember my 140 Berger load. Make sure you work up to this. My rifle topped out at 64 gr of N570 with a 140 Berger. Out of a 28" Hart it was running 3339 fps. Very accurate, but was hard on brass. Dropped it one grain to save my brass. R33 did not work for me. I am using Nosler brass which is heavy and R33 didn't produce very good speeds. Don't over look R26 as it has produced good speeds as well. Think my next goal is to try some Norma brass and a Hornady 147 ELD-M. Truthfully I have not shot my Sherman much in the last 2 years. Acquired to many guns that have taken up my time. That and you know how the Canadian winters go. Never fired a shot here in southern Manitoba this winter! Hard to shoot when you can't find the bench which is buried under the snow.

Thanks for the info what is your seating depth with that load so far I shot 60GR of Retumbo at 10 thou off produced 1/2 min at 200yards but only 2933 but seeing as I have a ton of N570 I will be going to it now but really just want to shoot 160 Matrix going forward .

Warning! This thread is more than 7 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.