6.5 saum barrel help

JD250

Starting a 6.5 saum build off of defiant hunter s/a and need some insight on barrel decision was thinking about bartlein 2b or 3 finished at 24. I am trying to keep the gun light as possible but am I sacrificing much by going 24" on a lighter conture? Any opinions are much appreciated.

What stock? Are you gonna flute barrel? What's your weight goal? A #3 bartlein at 24" is a great choice IMO.

I'm building it for a pack hunt gun but I still want to be able to reach out 6-800 with confidence just wondering what I am giving up with the shorter lighter barrel vs a 3b or sendero conture on a 26"+

I'm building it for a pack hunt gun but I still want to be able to reach out 6-800 with confidence just wondering what I am giving up with the shorter lighter barrel vs a 3b or sendero conture on a 26"+

30-50 FPS and no telling on the accuracy. A 6.5 of any flavor won't have enough horsepower that the lighter barrel wont work accuracy wise.

Here's a 6.5 SAUM built on a Bartlein 2b that's finished at 23". Gun with scope weighs 6lbs 9 ounces and shoots 1/2 moa or less all day long. Drives a 140 JLK at 3070fps. More than adequate for 800 yard shots. Going light does not have to mean giving up accuracy

Attachments

• IMG_2332.jpg
    IMG_2332.jpg
    222 KB · Views: 202
That things a beauty who did your fluting? That looks exactly like what I'm goin for. What stock did you go with I'm trying to keep mine under 7lbs.

Kampfeld Custom on the fluting. The stock is a McMillian Hunter Edge. Will be hard to finish under 7lbs with the action you are using but shouldn't be much over depending on optic choice. My action is the LPA titanium. Good luck with your build.

LPA Razor Ti SA is 18.5 oz.

Defiance MA (same as Rem SA) Ultralight is 23.0 oz.

Defiance MA (same as Rem SA) Hunter with deep bolt fluting is 25.03 oz.

Stock choice helps a lot with weight with the right fill (Manners EH line or MCM Edge line). Action can save some going Ti but not as much as many think.

I want to do something similar but a #3 at 24" with heavy spiral fluting and no brake in a Manners EH3 stock. Someday it'll happen.

Just received my barreled action from GAP w/ 2B as well, finished at 24". I fluted mine and am using EH5 Adjustable......can't wait to see what she will do.

Kampfeld fluted my barrel and bolt as well......love their work!

Thanks for the help guys next question...twist? 8, 8.5, 8.7??? From what I've read there isn't much of a noticeable difference between them all is this true I plan on shooting 140 vld...

Thanks for the help guys next question...twist? 8, 8.5, 8.7??? From what I've read there isn't much of a noticeable difference between them all is this true I plan on shooting 140 vld...

8.7 would be my first choice followed by 8.5. 8 can rob a little velocity while keeping the pressure at the magic number for barrel life. GAP is using 8.7, but an 8.5 would be fine if you can't find a 8.7 somewhere. A lot of guys end up running the 130's for hunting and rock shooting because of the velocities you get with them with a low pressure load (63.0 H1000). You have actually less drop to 1k by .2-.3 running the 130's at the same pressure as the 140's. My .02

I've build them off 8 twist and 8.5 and there is no discernible difference in velocity between the two, never bought into the 8.7 as being optimal because the difference between that and 8.5 would be minimal. I've had 7 6.5 saums and they have all ran 3080-3090 with a 140 and 24" bbl and 61 H1000. My 23" 8 twist barrel runs 3070 which is a little faster than I anticipated. Use what's handy, it'll work just fine

I've used a plethora of different bbls as well. mullerworks, Brux, Bartlein, and proof research. Ironically my fastest was an 8 twist mullerworks at 3090 and brass life was great. No problem getting 7-8 loads on Norma brass.

I believe GAP has now switched to chambering all their rifles on Bartlein 8.2 twist bbls

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.