6.5 Rifle Build

Good Day, I'm 71 years old and want to build a 6.5 PRC rifle for deer hunting. My shooting range is from 100 to 300 yards. I have several custom rifles in 25.06, 30.06 and a .264 Jarrett, all are great rifles but getting a little heavy. I have read several articles about the 6.5 PRC and Defiance-Proof Research Pre-Fit barrel. I would like to build a 6.5 PRC but I'm not sure which way to go. 22-inch or 24-inch barrel, pre-fit barrel or have a barrel blank chambered into a 6.5 PRC. Listed below are the rifle components I have selected for this rifle build. Just was wondering if any of you have any suggestions or different components. Building a hunting rifle is a little out of my league.
Thank you for your time and thoughts!

Long Range Hunting Rifle 6.5 PRC

Proof Research Carbon Fiber Sendero (22-inch or 24-inch barrel)
Defiance Ruckus GA Hunter Action – XM Action Length
Trigger Tech - Remington 700 Special Trigger
Hawkins Precision M5 Detachable Bottom Metal and Medium Action 3 round Magazine
AG Adjustable Chalk Branch Rifle Stock – Carbon Fiber

If this is strictly a hunting rifle I would get the 22" to save on overall length especially if shooting suppressed. Also save the extra weight. That extra 2 inches will not hurt your velocity enough to notice anything different on kill shots under 600 yards

There are things you can do to get near the same velocity between the 22 or 24". I had a 26" shooting retumbo using 124gr hammers I got pressure @ 3245. I wanted to run suppressed, so cut barrel to 22" my velocity dropped 112pfs. I switched to 6.5 staball and a mag primer and got velocity back to 3225 which is where I was running 26" retumbo. So I would go 22" and use a little faster powder with a mag primer for slightly better burn efficiency.

I know you didn't ask this but:
If you self impose a max of 300 yds I'd consider just getting a factory light Tikka in 6.5 PRC, stick all the extra savings into glass, mounts, components and practice. It'll do that every time, every day.

Southern Hunter, we are the same age but I'm coming up on a b-day. I think you spec'd out a very nice rifle, also agree with Feenix on the barrel.

No affiliation on this very different rifle but it meets your criteria and more for $1500. Want it myself but have too many deer rifles now, lol.

I know you didn't ask this but:
If you self impose a max of 300 yds I'd consider just getting a factory light Tikka in 6.5 PRC, stick all the extra savings into glass, mounts, components and practice. It'll do that every time, every day.
Yes, I understand and I have looked at several different rifles, but just want to build or should I say put together a rifle just to see how it works and see how accurate I can get it. I have 3 Jarrett Rifles and they all shoot under .40 moa. My 30.06 has shot under .25 moa several times. Just something I want to do. Thanks for your info.

Southern Hunter, we are the same age but I'm coming up on a b-day. I think you spec'd out a very nice rifle, also agree with Feenix on the barrel.

No affiliation on this very different rifle but it meets your criteria and more for $1500. Want it myself but have too many deer rifles now, lol.

Thank you very much for comments and info.

Yes, I understand and I have looked at several different rifles, but just want to build or should I say put together a rifle just to see how it works and see how accurate I can get it. I have 3 Jarrett Rifles and they all shoot under .40 moa. My 30.06 has shot under .25 moa several times. Just something I want to do. Thanks for your info.
I fully understand that reasoning. I wish you all the luck in the world.

Recent Posts