Rifle Build

340ORHNTR

I am currently in the process of building a long range hunting rifle that I can pack but is still accurate to 700 yards maybe farther if my shooting gets better. I am starting with a Weatherby Mark V chambered in 340 wby mag. It is in an H-S precision stock. I am looking to put a new barrel on it with a break. Tune the action adjust the trigger and bed it. My gunsmith is recommending a Douglas or Hart if i want to go top of the line. I will be shooting 250 or 300 gr SMK handloads. Would you go 1:9 or 1:10 twist and what barrel, and brake manufacture. I am open to all sugestions but want to stay with the 340 wby.

While at the range yesterday I was speaking with a fellow who does QC and shoots the qualifying targets for one of local the rifle manufacturers.

He said that the Lothar's are quite good and would shoot great after about 4 rounds but that the Kreigers required perhaps as many as 20 rounds or more before they shot great. Both brands were great barrels according to this fellow.

This discussion was for the 338 lapua caliber.

Douglas or Hart both are both fine barrels in a 1:10 but, listen to your smith. I like the APS muzzle brake by Kirby Allen...some don't as one mentioned they look like the end of a howitzer. Maybe, maybe not I guess it's a matter of opinion but they are very effective. Good luck with your build.

APS Break by Kirby, Douglas 1:10. My cousin has a Lapua with the Douglas 1:10 in 32" barrel. He is currently saving the money up for the break.

Tank

My smith is a big fan of Douglas for a hunting rifle. Were thinking of a 5 or 5a with a break. Douglas does not have a weight on their website for the 5a. Would this be very heavy? Too heavy to carry up and down mountains?

The one I posted about is a full 1"contour all the way out to 32". The rifle is 19.5#'s. Doesn't carry very nice. Mainly a bench gun or carry once to a blind. I couldn't tell you what their contour number is.

Tank

Check out Brux Barrels they advertise here. Less money, cut & hand lapped S/S and all barrels made by them are benchrest quality. Late last spring I ordered one and had it in 3 weeks. My rifle has shot .084" once at 100 yds and in the .3s a couple of times at 200 yds. AND this is my hunting rifle.

joseph

Brux barrel in 3 weeks...Wow> Are they just not busy or is there manufacturing line that fast?

That was last year, currently quoting 10 wks. Sorry, but they are worth the wait. Also 6 wks quicker than the alternatives and far superior to Douglas.

If you are currently shooting an Accumark I would shoot the barrell out before re-barreling. I had a .340Wby also and it had solid accuracy. In the .75MOA range with handloads

That was last year, currently quoting 10 wks. Sorry, but they are worth the wait. Also 6 wks quicker than the alternatives and far superior to Douglas.

I think they will quote you 10 weeks, but send it to you much sooner to make you feel better and tell everyone how good their barrels and how fast you got it.

Here is my Brux barrel: http://forum.gon.com/showthread.php?t=374570&highlight=

joseph

Last edited:
Check out Lilja barrels. Excellent barrels. Have a good reputation for putting out very consistent barrels and do especially well in .338 calibers. Cant go wrong with Kirbys Aps Painkiller brake and they comes in a few different sizes so theres one to fill your needs for sure. Not to say there aren't any other good barrels and brakes out because there are many. These are just my personal favorites and the ones I used in my 338 AX build.

There are lots of great barrel makers out there and breaks as well just remember you get what you pay for. Any of the already mentioned barrels and breaks will do exactly what you want it to do.

So why is are Douglas barrels so much less expensive? Are their air gaged match grade barrels worth it or should i just go with a Hart? I don't want to put this whole thing together and wish it shot better.

Warning! This thread is more than 15 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.

Recent Posts