6.5 PRC issues

nralifer:
" One suggestion made was to use calipers to measure the neck diameter in an unfired round and a fired unsized case to see the difference between the two measurements. This gives an idea of the clearance at the neck area."
He did this and reported it: .292 and .296"

I have a CA mesa lr in 28 nosler that does the same thing. I fought with it for a while and it was very frustrating. I never have gotten it figured out. Seems pretty common with CA. I stopped shooting it to save up for a new carbon fiber barrel.

Bebb25 most of these people posting do not have experience with CA guns. The ejector marks and swipes are normal for CA due to very tight tolerances and very stiff spring dual ejectors. Swipes will lessen over time and as things break in, but ejector marks are just apart of CA guns with these mag bolts and dual ejectors. Like I said earlier mine took about 150 rds to start smoothing out. CALL CA and talk to them, send pictures and let them diagnose your gun. But I see nothing that I didn't have and my gun shoots .5moa Just keep shooting and cleaning. But CALL CA first for peace of mind.

I have a CA mesa lr in 28 nosler that does the same thing. I fought with it for a while and it was very frustrating. I never have gotten it figured out. Seems pretty common with CA. I stopped shooting it to save up for a new carbon fiber barrel.
My suggestion at this point clean the hell out of the carbon out then have someone bore scope the barrel/chamber to see if there is an issue with the quality of the chambering. If this is a recurring problem with CA then the reamers they are using have too tight clearances in the throat in an effort to improve accuracy. How many shots with whatever powder you were using did it take before you noticed the problem?

My suggestion at this point clean the hell out of the carbon out then have someone bore scope the barrel/chamber to see if there is an issue with the quality of the chambering. If this is a recurring problem with CA then the reamers they are using have too tight clearances in the throat in an effort to improve accuracy. How many shots with whatever powder you were using did it take before you noticed the problem?
It took about 30 rounds of factory ammo to start giving me problems. Cleaned it what I thought was good 4 times in the first 20 rounds. Only reason I was shooting factory ammo is there wasn't any 28 brass available. At about 30 rounds I couldn't get the bolt to closed on half of the factory ammo. Mostly 175 grain nosler factory.

I will look with the borescope again and clean it really good and see if it improves anything.

Has CA given you any feedback? It may help other new and future CA owners. Looks like that rifle has a very tight throat leade and maybe other very tight spots in the chamber.

Has CA given you any feedback? It may help other new and future CA owners. Looks like that rifle has a very tight throat leade and maybe other very tight spots in the chamber.
I haven't tried. After I decided that I wanted a new barrel I didn't want one from CA. I know quite a few people that have them and they are good rifles. I just got a bad one. Or need to really scrub the thing.

Sdbeanfield, I would suggest cleaning it really well. Try IOSSO like I suggested. Once it's clean, start again. If it shoots well, cleaning more often is a small price. Much cheaper than a new barrel. I have a 28 Nosler that I need to clean after every 20-25 rounds or the carbon builds up bad. I'm using R33 which is a dirty powder but the rifle likes it.

No, it would not. The reamer was to address a tight chamber causing clickers with hotter loads.

Looks like that rifle has a very tight throat leade and maybe other very tight spots in the chamber.

If it is a carbon ring it won't address it. But if it is "a very tight throat leade and maybe other very tight spots in the chamber" then the AW2 would ream it to improved tolerances.

obviously there is a carbon ring that is causing issues, but have you ever tried any other ammo ? I have seen 2 different Bergara rifles show excessive pressures using factory 143 eld-x ammo even to the point of blowing a primer. Personally I haven't had any issues with either of my 6.5prc in factory ammo or reloads and I also shoot suppressed.

It took about 30 rounds of factory ammo to start giving me problems. Cleaned it what I thought was good 4 times in the first 20 rounds. Only reason I was shooting factory ammo is there wasn't any 28 brass available. At about 30 rounds I couldn't get the bolt to closed on half of the factory ammo. Mostly 175 grain nosler factory.

I will look with the borescope again and clean it really good and see if it improves anything.
So to understand what you did, you shot 30 rounds through the rifle as your break in and cleaned it every 5 shots during the first 20 firings and after the 4th cleaning during the next ten you saw bolt closure problems in 1/2 of the remaining 10 rounds. Is that correct? Did the cleaning seem to help with the bolt closure problems at all? Were the bullets themselves getting scratched after attempting to chamber them?

I haven't tried. After I decided that I wanted a new barrel I didn't want one from CA. I know quite a few people that have them and they are good rifles. I just got a bad one. Or need to really scrub the thing.
Good luck with trying to get this figured out. I'm out

Recent Posts