6.5 PRC issues

I believe that fouling will cause problems and that rough surfaces will cause more fouling. I like the term "radial black deposits" because I have yet to see a chemical analysis that identifies the composition of these deposits.

If I did not see 30 rounds, I would think that the barrel would have had 300 rounds thru it without cleaning. 30 rounds or even 100 rounds of factory ammo should have not caused the problem. Photos of brass show dirty slightly scratched surfaces with small dents and smudge marks on brass body. Inner photos show flared black areas on leade with irregular spaced copper deposits - hard to believe this much crud was deposited with only 30 rounds. CA should not think about building machine guns for the DOD.

Last edited:
New to this form and first time posting. Been around hunting and shooting all my life but never been much in to reloading. I have started messing around a bit with it and probably know just enough to get me in to trouble. My issue is I picked up a new rifle in 6.5 PRC. Did the barrel brake in and all that and the rifle shoots really well. But after I was done with the brake in and about 30 rounds without cleaning the barrel I started to get pressure signs and heavy bolt lift. Troubleshot the issue a bit and found that I was getting a lot of build up where the neck ends and the freebore begins. Don't know if that is the right terminology. Anyways I can load a live round and eject it and the bullet has scratches all the way around I'll put in picture. Any help or info would be great. I have never had the happen to me before. Thanks
Oh and shooting factory 143 ELD-X nothing fancy
What was your cleaning procedure during barrel break in?
Thus, how many rounds went down the barrel before the pressure problem became apparent?
I am surprised that a carbon ring developed in what sounds like a small number of rounds being fired. (20 for break-in, plus 30 more?)
BTW: your borescope pics are out of focus. You should be able to get much sharper pics by playing with the scope.

CA's have very stiff springs in ejectors and leave mark without pressure often. It does lessen over time, but mine still leaves marks. CA told me to just shoot it. It functions and shoots great.

Well, he said he ran a factory load in that showed the marks on the bullet and neck he posted. I am not clear that the cases he took pictures of the case heads are factory. He says he is shooting factory ammo but the case heads show two and some three, ejector marks. Some show over;lapping ejector marks. Unless the gun has dual ejectors that doesn't look like most factory ammo case heads.
CA's use dual extractor springs....

30378, the dual extractor thing has been explained already, and the OP has verified he was shooting ONLY factory ammo, no reloads at all. Thus, all the talk of seating depth, loads etc are not germane to this particular guns behaviour and issues. You guys are free to suggest solutions but the long and short, the gun is not behaving properly and needs to be fixed by CA, replaced or refunded. The issues are not the result of the OP doing anything wrong.

My CA Ridgeline showed the same ejector marks on factory loads during barrel break in. This was caused by solvent in the chamber. The problem disappeared with a clean, dry chamber.

Talked with a gunsmith regarding the pressure signs and he told me that CA chambers have a sharper leade angle that will show pressure signs earlier than chambers with a longer leade angle. He said this design was to help with accuracy, but with trade-offs.

A carbon ring coupled with CA's chambering would explain the ejector marks after 30 rounds.
On factory ammo, +1 to solvent in the chamber creating ejector marks. I've noticed this during break ins when the chamber isn't wiped dry between cleanings.

It is harder than my other rifles but I just figured it was because of the two ejectors never had a rifle with two. Just measured and loaded round measured .292 and fired .296
That's at the minimum but is exceptable neck clearance, we're all guessing here but you may have a short throat and carbon buildup from your suppressor is building up in there and essentially making it even shorter.
Does your bolt open hard? If it does that's the most serious sign of dangerous pressure.

Either way clean that chamber area good and see how she goes. I'd be checking everything out carefully, document the changes to bolt closure on loaded rounds, bolt lift, and ejector marks.
I like to mark my brass with a sharpie to keep it straight when comparing measurements etc.

Good luck and sorry for misunderstanding your issue initially

First thing you need to do is be certain it didn't scratch up the bullets before you shot it the first time. Need to clean the **** out of that neck/ throat junction and see if it still scratches up the bullet. If it does it would mean that this barrel was cut with a worn out reamer and would need to go back to whoever built it.

First thing you need to do is be certain it didn't scratch up the bullets before you shot it the first time. Need to clean the **** out of that neck/ throat junction and see if it still scratches up the bullet. If it does it would mean that this barrel was cut with a worn out reamer and would need to go back to whoever built it.
I agree. Rule out the carbon ring. If issue is still present on a VERIFIED clean bore, send it in.

What was your cleaning procedure during barrel break in?
Thus, how many rounds went down the barrel before the pressure problem became apparent?
I am surprised that a carbon ring developed in what sounds like a small number of rounds being fired. (20 for break-in, plus 30 more?)
BTW: your borescope pics are out of focus. You should be able to get much sharper pics by playing with the scope.
I followed what CA recommend. Shoot 5 and clean for 50rds. I went 60rds just because. Patches were coming out cleaner so I thought. They looked like others I have done. So in the end I shot 60 for bake in than another 30

Recent Posts