6.5 for deer...2600 fps <<< VS >>> 2800 fps...???

They don't grow on trees, but the biggest we got back in the day was 7'3"x7.3". In the fall 8" of fat over the ribs. Don't know how much we cut off, and tossed in the woods, but finishing the job at home I filled a 15 gallon pail with what we left. That pail was 75 lbs if I recall.
Stopped a 300 grain Silvertip from an H&H-granted almost 3' of penetration, but it didn't exit.
I was hoping some 6.5 user would have used some of the heavier bullets out there. The hope for another big bear, is why I've got Hammer looking at a modern 160 for me.
Wow...... that's a big bear! I've been wanting to try a hammer bullet. I'm just not sure I can justify the cost as of yet.

This is a Canadian black bear with the hindquarters removed. Fat over the back is over 6" thick and my hand easily disappeared in the cut we ran down the spine.
Fall bears can be quite a challenge for small and/or fragile bullets.
upload_2018-9-1_8-43-4.jpeg

Last edited:
Wow...... that's a big bear! I've been wanting to try a hammer bullet. I'm just not sure I can justify the cost as of yet.
You will be able to load develop with a fraction of the amount of bullets that would normally be expected. This alone will save you a ton in resources and countless amount of time. In the end I don't think they will cost you extra compared to any other hunting bullet. That and I would not be surprised if they shoot better for you than expect your rifle to be able to shoot.

Steve

You will be able to load develop with a fraction of the amount of bullets that would normally be expected. This alone will save you a ton in resources and countless amount of time. In the end I don't think they will cost you extra compared to any other hunting bullet. That and I would not be surprised if they shoot better for you than expect your rifle to be able to shoot.

Steve
Steve,

What would you reccomend for my 7mm rem mag with a 9.5 twist? Typical hunting ranges sub 400 yards

Amen...

I once arrowed a javelina. There was a pretty massive blood trail through the desert. I wanted to hold back and examine every single aspect and detail of the trail. My buddy just plowed on ahead, trailing observed blood. Gave himself a nice pat on the back for the "good tracking job". Yeah... you can find an easy animal that way but getting a "gimm'e" blood trail and not taking advantage of all the things, besides the gobs of blood, can teach you is a waste. It isn't the sign. It's the excess of sign, as in, there's tracks everywhere but which ones are mine, that count. A little child can read Sally, Dick and Jane (if our smart, enlightened teachers even know what that is anymore). Then there's Shakespeare. I've tried to study tracking but there's no substitute for hand's on, countless experiences. I tip my hat to those guides and trackers. Sure... nothing happens till a customer hits an animal. After that though, a real, skilled outdoorsman takes over. They probably just call that guy Joe, but I call him a "Tracker".

Have you read the book, "the Tracker"? I think the author's name is Brown. Truly fantastic info. Also, there is a fantastic tracking story in "No Room For Bears."

You will be able to load develop with a fraction of the amount of bullets that would normally be expected. This alone will save you a ton in resources and countless amount of time. In the end I don't think they will cost you extra compared to any other hunting bullet. That and I would not be surprised if they shoot better for you than expect your rifle to be able to shoot
Steve

And if you can not get them to shoot, he buys them back!

Steve,

What would you reccomend for my 7mm rem mag with a 9.5 twist? Typical hunting ranges sub 400 yards
If you are staying under 400y I would choose the Sledge Hammer line in the weight that you prefer that is fully stable. I am a vel/ max point blank range guy. I would stay with bullets in the 130g range.

Steve

I have been loading these in a couple 30-06, a .300 WSM, .300 WinMag, .338 RUM and a .375 Snipetac and have pretty much just picked a powder and loaded to an appropriate velocity.

And yes, that is a big bear!

FEENIX, love yer shirt! Also like your bench "rest". Can't read the name, so what is it?
I'd also like to add that energy delivered is pretty important,too. Especially if a bad shot placement happens. Heavier bullets will continue on. An old, departed friend used a very heavy bullet in his 7x61 S&H. I asked why and his learned answer was "it kills at very long range". He was an engineering grad from Auburn and later in life did a lot of research on ballistics. I miss him and his knowledge!

Although I've shot a fair share of game, I've been on a dry spell as of late. I've used mostly Barnes and Sierra for big game. Just curious about your opinions on Bergers and why Barnes are preferred on most situations. I'm currently loading my hunting rig with 168 gr. Hunting Hybrid Bergers (30-06). Never put one in anything yet though. I heard you can get some meat damage but they tend to produce massive damage to internals. Your thoughts?
I just don't like the tendency of the Berger's to break up nor their inconsistency with respect to opening. There's nothing resembling consistent controlled expansion with a Berger.

My experience with the Barnes along with a lot of animals I've seen and had to track for others shot with Barnes show that they tend to lose their petals doing little damage and the rest punches a very small hole all the way through. This results in slow blood loss and is aggravated by the small entry and exit that prevent any significant bleeding out often until after they have run quite a ways.

For conventional bullets I prefer the Hornady Interbond, Nosler Accubond, and Accbond LR.

Since about 2015 I've shot Peregrine VLR's almost exclusively and they have outperformed all of the other bullets I've ever shot period.

I know exactly what terminal performance I'll get every time I pull the trigger and that for me at least is invaluable.

One thing I really like about them is that for every tipped hunting bullet they produce they also produce an identical target bullet that is much, much cheaper to produce and sell.

Now for high volume target and varmint shooting I generally just buy Prime Ammunition in .260 Rem and save the brass. I have yet to find a more accurate load for any of my three .260's and while they don't produce it with a good hunting bullet, i don't care much what I shoot at coyotes and trash as long as it's accurate.

They don't grow on trees, but the biggest we got back in the day was 7'3"x7.3". In the fall 8" of fat over the ribs. Don't know how much we cut off, and tossed in the woods, but finishing the job at home I filled a 15 gallon pail with what we left. That pail was 75 lbs if I recall.
Stopped a 300 grain Silvertip from an H&H-granted almost 3' of penetration, but it didn't exit.
I was hoping some 6.5 user would have used some of the heavier bullets out there. The hope for another big bear, is why I've got Hammer looking at a modern 160 for me.
You might want to visit the hog hunting forum. We've got a member that's been shooting quite a few with the 160gr Hornady round nose..

Think hard on that one. Look at what we spend on everything else.

Unless you're shooting in high volume the cost of bullets is way down at the bottom of what you're spending.

For high volume shooting, shoot the cheap stuff but don't be afraid to spend what's necessary for quality hunting bullets. One failure is all it takes to ruin the hunt of a lifetime.

..........You might want to visit the hog hunting forum. We've got a member that's been shooting quite a few with the 160gr Hornady round nose..

.......I've followed those, a great example of old school, heavy for caliber, round nose moderate velocity, still working. Zero doubts about using it that way, but left the thought a bit open ended, curious how those work driven at magnum velocities, point blank, hard targets.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.