6.5 for deer...2600 fps <<< VS >>> 2800 fps...???

A note about Barnes... I've used them on elk and antelope. Elk in 30 cal and antelope in .22 cal. In all cases, the critter just stood there with it's eyes bugged out for about 10 seconds and then tipped over. Shots were from 70 to 200 yards, broadside. Both were DRT with quarter sized exit holes. Actually, there was plenty of time to put a second into them. The mono copper bullets are no slouch at regular ranges. Frankly, I'm about ready to buy some Hammer Bullets and test them out. I doubt I'll ever hunt Africa unless some freaky Hollywood fool thinks I'm cute. For now though, I just cant swing it. If I could though, I'd be testing bullets like crazy. Actually, I wouldn't even carry a gun if I could get some good lessons from some of those great trackers. That's the real education.

Frankly, I'm about ready to buy some Hammer Bullets and test them out.

I think you will be very pleased with them. I was using the 130 Accubond in a 22" barrel 260 Rem and dial up was 9 MOA at 500 yards at MV of 2,770 with 42 grains H4350.

110 Hammer Hunter is running 3,170 with 47 grains of H4350 at COL of 2.8". No seating depth change from first load tested is staying .5 -.6 MOA all the time and is 7 MOA dial up at 500 with more energy and speed than I had before. I did have to change the G7 BC from .225 to .200 to make dial up on at 500 but that could be numerous reasons. At 500 according to AB velocity is approx 2060fps and energy at 1037ft/lb. plenty for deer hunting.

On hair the hammer is just as devastating as mentioned on here before by others. If I was running a 6.5 Creed for 500 yd gun I wouldn't shoot anything other than a 110 Hammer with Varget. Would look for MV at around 3,025 to 3,075 in 22" barrels. Speed kills.

Last edited:
I think you will be very pleased with them. I was using the 130 Accubond in a 22" barrel 260 Rem and dial up was 9 MOA at 500 yards at MV of 2,770 with 42 grains H4350.

110 Hammer Hunter is running 3,170 with 47 grains of H4350 at COL of 2.8". No seating depth change from first load tested is staying .5 -.6 MOA all the time and is 7 MOA dial up at 500 with more energy and speed than I had before. I did have to change the G7 BC from .225 to .200 to make dial up on at 500 but that could be numerous reasons. At 500 according to AB velocity is approx 2060fps and energy at 1037ft/lb. plenty for deer hunting.

On hair the hammer is just as devastating as mentioned on here before by others. If I was running a 6.5 Creed for 500 yd gun I wouldn't shoot anything other than a 110 Hammer with Varget. Would look for MV at around 3,025 to 3,075 in 22" barrels. Speed kills.
Thanks for the review.

Your bc is probably a good one. We see it change for one rifle to another for what ever reason. Our .225 g7 was an estimate as we have not taken that one out to test drops. .200 g7 falls within what we see for form factor with our Hammer Hunter line. I'll go and change the bc that is listed for this bullet from your testing. Thanks again.

Steve

Not mentioned nearly enough!!! The opportunity to observe good guides wherever you go is worth the price of admission. Humbling.

Amen...

I once arrowed a javelina. There was a pretty massive blood trail through the desert. I wanted to hold back and examine every single aspect and detail of the trail. My buddy just plowed on ahead, trailing observed blood. Gave himself a nice pat on the back for the "good tracking job". Yeah... you can find an easy animal that way but getting a "gimm'e" blood trail and not taking advantage of all the things, besides the gobs of blood, can teach you is a waste. It isn't the sign. It's the excess of sign, as in, there's tracks everywhere but which ones are mine, that count. A little child can read Sally, Dick and Jane (if our smart, enlightened teachers even know what that is anymore). Then there's Shakespeare. I've tried to study tracking but there's no substitute for hand's on, countless experiences. I tip my hat to those guides and trackers. Sure... nothing happens till a customer hits an animal. After that though, a real, skilled outdoorsman takes over. They probably just call that guy Joe, but I call him a "Tracker".

Amen...

I once arrowed a javelina. There was a pretty massive blood trail through the desert. I wanted to hold back and examine every single aspect and detail of the trail. My buddy just plowed on ahead, trailing observed blood. Gave himself a nice pat on the back for the "good tracking job". Yeah... you can find an easy animal that way but getting a "gimm'e" blood trail and not taking advantage of all the things, besides the gobs of blood, can teach you is a waste. It isn't the sign. It's the excess of sign, as in, there's tracks everywhere but which ones are mine, that count. A little child can read Sally, Dick and Jane (if our smart, enlightened teachers even know what that is anymore). Then there's Shakespeare. I've tried to study tracking but there's no substitute for hand's on, countless experiences. I tip my hat to those guides and trackers. Sure... nothing happens till a customer hits an animal. After that though, a real, skilled outdoorsman takes over. They probably just call that guy Joe, but I call him a "Tracker".
We've had some pretty rough tracking jobs here in northern NH. We've had deer and bear both that were very difficult to find. Trying to track a bear print in the leaves is the hardest thing I've had to track. Deer ate hard enough in the leaves as it is. Its definitely a learned trait. We've gotten alot better at it, but still no experts by any means. Guys that are experts I top my hat too. Personally I'd rather see the red carpet!

I've tracked a few and helped somebody else track a few deer where there were only little drops of blood spaced out a ways. We did get it done though and learned a lot! The last on was one somebody had gutshot and there wasn't much blood or guts to track. It's certainly something that is learned over a period of time and more than one experience.

If a bear goes very far, tough to find here without a dog.
That's why with bears I use a bullet that gives me 2 holes! They dont bleed worth a crap! The worse bear track I was ever on the bear ran 300 yards in a swamp and we didnt have any blood for the last 150 yards. It was shot from 10 ft with a 7mm rem mag down through the back. Only got one lung and the exit hole plugged with fat and hair.

Can be tough to do on a big fall bear, what are you using?
I actually haven't shot a bear in awhile. Last one I shot was with a 140 amax. Not sure I'd do that again but it did the job and only went 17 paces. Dressed 312 which is a good bear for these parts. We used to use Remington corlockt before we started reloading and had good success with them on bears average boar I see killed is 250lbs. Got back into bears last year and I'm going after them with archery this year.

They don't grow on trees, but the biggest we got back in the day was 7'3"x7.3". In the fall 8" of fat over the ribs. Don't know how much we cut off, and tossed in the woods, but finishing the job at home I filled a 15 gallon pail with what we left. That pail was 75 lbs if I recall.
Stopped a 300 grain Silvertip from an H&H-granted almost 3' of penetration, but it didn't exit.
I was hoping some 6.5 user would have used some of the heavier bullets out there. The hope for another big bear, is why I've got Hammer looking at a modern 160 for me.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.