6.5 Creedmore VS 6.5x284

earlybird

I am considering building another rifle and am leaning toward on of these calibers. Was curious what some opinions were pros, cons ect. The rifle would mainly be used for a LR deer and predator rig. Thanks for your input. Also is brass availability better for one or the other?

6.5x284 shoots much faster, Creedmore has longer bbl life. Both good calibers that will do whatever you're capable of doing. Build whichever 1 will give you more confidence.

6.5x284 shoots much faster, Creedmore has longer bbl life. Both good calibers that will do whatever you're capable of doing. Build whichever 1 will give you more confidence.

I wouldnt say much faster. According to noslers loading data the creed gets a 140 out at 2730. The 6.5x284 gets it out at 2953. Thats not that big of a difference. Not enough so a deer or moon dog to tell the difference. Plus the Creedmoor has better barrel life so id go with the Creed. Note that the 6.5 Creed barrel in that velocity was a 24" and the one for the 6.5x284 was a 26". So in reality they are pretty close.

The real world difference between 95% of the rifles debated about on this forum are purely academic. So, when discussing calibers down to the details that most do on this forum, 200 fps is quite the difference.

The real world difference between 95% of the rifles debated about on this forum are purely academic. So, when discussing calibers down to the details that most do on this forum, 200 fps is quite the difference.

Im just giving the details on the cartridges. Both guns with the same length barrel will perform pretty close. Im a creedmoor guy so i may just be a little bias.

I am considering building another rifle and am leaning toward on of these calibers. Was curious what some opinions were pros, cons ect. The rifle would mainly be used for a LR deer and predator rig. Thanks for your input. Also is brass availability better for one or the other?

The 6.5x284 has about 30% more powder capacity than the Creedmoor. It will be a much more capable long range hunting round. Brass availability is good for either one. Creedmoor brass will be less expensive. You can get Lapua brass for the 6.5x284.

I'd settle this by deciding which bullet you want to shoot and your max range that you would want. Set a minimum level of energy you're comfortable with (I've seen anywhere from 600 ft/lbs to 1400ft/lbs) to make a clean kill. Then go to a ballistics calculator and figure out how much velocity you need to get at the muzzle to stay above your energy threshold at max range. Check out a couple load manuals for safe data and see which will give you the velocity performance you need. Most load manuals give velocities in 22" or 24" barrels so keep in mind you can add anywhere from 25-150 fps per inch (within reason) going with a longer barrel. Also keep in mind that this is all educated guesswork and some guns and barrels are just faster, slower, and more pressure sensitive than others.

Example, I want to shoot the 140g A-Max, max distance 800 yds and I feel good about 700 ft/lbs taking a coyote or small deer (number for example only and I have nothing to back that up, spend some time and research this)

The 140 has a BC of 0.585 and we'll use sea level for calculations just because.
Using guess and check with the handloads.com ballistic calculator, a muzzle velocity of 2700 fps gets me 823 ft/lbs at 800 yds with this bullet.

The online IMR data shows the 6.5 Creedmore at 2500-2600 fps at max loads for the 140 A-Max. The 6.5x284 comes up with 2700-2900 for the 142 gr sierra hpbt (not necessarily interchangeable for load data but good enough for our analysis here)

Based on this, I go with the 6.5x284 to feel good about my shots without having to hot-rod the loads. I've also got a good margin for error in case I end up with a slow barrel. Obviously this could get as complicated and time consuming as you want it as changing one variable means going back to the start, but it gives you a quantified comparison instead of, or to go with, a gut feeling or preference. Also remember "garbage in - garbage out" and the number at the end is only as good as the information going in.

I currently have a rifle in both offerings. I built the 6.5/284 first. It was meant to be a Pronghorn, tactical, long range rig. I'd say it came out pretty good, but is on the heavy side for carrying - 16 pounds. So, I decided to build another lighter model for carrying and deer hunting. I decided to go with the Creedmoor. I will tell you the components used on both and what I like/dislike about both.

6.5/284: 700 Long action, McM A2, Brux Sendero, 26", 16 pound with optics, 140 Bergers, Lapua brass.
Shoots lights out, under .5 moa. Pinging the 1000 yard target at will, Lapua brass seems still available. 2950 fps. It's heavy and with my can is almost cumbersome in some situations (couldn't get swung around fast enough last year on a nice buck)

6.5 Creedmoor: 700 short action, McM A3 sporter, Brux #5 fluted 24", 12 pounds with optics, currently shooting factory 140 loads. About .7 moa(need to work up a load) I have all the brass to load just haven't yet. Brass seems available. 2670 fps.

Here's my take: both shoot really well. I think I can get the same accuracy out of the creedmoor with a little work. They are honestly just set up for different things, but you could reverse them and get the same results. I love both cartridges and you could go with either one and not be wrong.

You put sufficient barrel length behind a 6.5x284 and it'll leave the mighty mouse mid-range cartridges(6.5CM, 6.5x47L) way back in the dust. That doesn't make it a better cartridge at all, but it is not a close comparison.
Neither 'mice' were designed for hunting as primary purpose. They were designed for mid-range competition with 123-130gr bullets, and here they are excellent(more accurate than 6.5x284).

Id go with a 6.5 Creedmoor but thats just me as Ive wanted one for a while in a GA Precision GAP-10. And like Mikecr said Id probably try to go for a good 130gr Berger load first to try to keep the velocity up some. And for what youre hunting, a 6.5 CM is more than enough power. You could have it in a nice light rifle that still wont recoil very much and could even go with a fairly short barrel without giving up too much MV considering the expansion ratio.

If youre looking for a bad to the bone 6.5 though, look no further than the 6.5 SS. Same length as a Creedmoor, 140s at mag length in a SA without taking up powder capacity, etc. That SS sure seems to have about the best amount of case capacity in 6.5 for a real good compromise between velocity vs powder burned.

Warning! This thread is more than 11 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.