6.5 creedmore loads

Are the bimetal SS cases hard to work with ? Don't you need a certain type of die to work them ?
No, I use regular dies to reform them from 6.8 X 51 is what the headstamp says on my bimetal SS case heads. But will chamber in the 277 Fury. The SS head has continued to be slightly smaller the die, after three ot four firings they have tight primer pockets. I have used every commercial die on them from Wilson to Lee. Just lube and size, 308 in one pass but I lube and mandrel up first. One pass in each die. I neck turn in the shiulder on both . The 6.5 Creedmoor I run a 308 die first only short then a 6.5 Creedmoor die and trim to length. And neck turn in the shoulder. Lots of extra performance available, in 6.5 Creedmoor. Just look at rge performance differences between the bi-metal SS heads and brass heads of the 277 Fury fired in the same gun on video....you get the same increase in performance increase in the 6.5 Creedmoor.
It is not recommended to reload these cases so say Sig and they say no dies are made for them.
But I had to investigate it myself. They work ike regularl brass cases. I just did it for personal experiment and risk my equipment and a lot of time to say yes you can...and report it as such. It's just there, it exists. And it can be applied to any 308 based cartridge. I run SS heads in 308, 6.5 Creedmoor, and 358 Win in an AR 10, but at close to normal pressure in the AR10, just to see.
Remember it's not recommend by manufacturers and any warranty would be void on the firearm used. One of those, "do at your own risk".
So I "do"..but that's just me. Definitely not for the beginner. But a factory 24" 6.5 Creedmoor RPR rifle is used in this test, and running the 147 eldm , 150 gr SMK, and 153 gr Atip at about 3000 fps. It will go faster with no harm to the SS case but the pressure is too high for the rifle in continuous use.

I couldn't find H4350 when I bought my 6.5 creedmoor so I went with Rel17 at 41.5 grains. Tack driver. I now have H4350 but only use it in my 6 creed. My Rel17 load shot about 50 fps faster than my H4350 load, but was super accurate so I use the H4350 in my 6 and Rel17 in my 6.5. The H4350 shoots very well in my 6 creed. I think H4350 is more temp stable than Rel 17.

Loaded afew yesterday haven't shot any yet but I went with 43.5 grains of 2209 seated at 2.860 Coal still a long way off the lands but as someone said the Tikka tac a1 's seem to have a large free bore

Attachments

• IMG_4951.jpeg
    IMG_4951.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 37
Anybody try re-15 ...135 gr bergers?
I need a starting point . This is for a Ruger RPR .
Thanks !

Rum Man

Here is my latest with the 6.5 Creedmoor:

Screenshot (715).png

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2037.JPG

The load is 6.5 Creedmoor, Federal small primer brass, Remington 7 1/2 primers, 44.5 Staball 6.5, Hornady 123ELD bullet.
5 shot group at 100.

Rifle is a Ruger M77, MII SA, McGowen 6.5, 8 twist, #5, chambered with a sample/dummy round loaded with a 6.5 140 grain Barnes Match Burner bullet.

Bullet velocities average about 2930. Accuracy is good. Extreme spreads are just under 30. Projected extreme spreads of bulk loadings with a 95% probability are about 17 fps. Possibility of higher barrel temps making pressures & velocities increase as shown on spread sheet, last 3 rounds fired.

This is a nice load but does not show any advantages compared to the 140 ELDM at 180 fps less at ranges over 350 yards, slightly less drop & shorter TOF but considerably more wind drift at extended ranges. Impact velocities at 600 yards & more are greater/better with the 140 ELD's.

I need to get a comparable accuracy load with Staball 6.5 & 140 ELDM's.

Remington 7 1/2 magnum small rifle primers were used.

Screenshot (716).png
The little Rem 7 1/2 primer appears to be a better fit for Staball 6.5 than other small rifle primers.

Not in my 6.5CM, but I have in a few other cartridges and really like it. Yes it's temp sensitive, it my experience is it's not near as bad as other powders.
I have used 47.0 grains of R-S Hunter with 120 gr. Barnes Match burners & CCI 34 primers. Velocities were probably better than 3000 fps & accuracy good - many hits on 3-inch steel at 300. Need to chrony & revisit.
Just curious but has anyone tried Ramshot Hunter ?