6.5 Creedmore load help

tvarden

I do not have a 6.5 Creedmore so never loaded for it. A good friend goes and buys his son one for Christmas, but no ammo. He calls and asked if I had any. Nope.. But trying to help him out I have been able to get Dies and 100 new Hornady Cases. Looking for bullets I was able to order Barnes 127gr LRX. My mistake was assuming I would find load data on Barnes site with something I have. Well after looking I do not have anything they list. Anyone load these with IMR 8208XBR, IMR 4895, AR-Comp, Varget, RL19, or RL22? I have all of this so any help would be much appreciated!!

Look at Hodgdon reloading web site. It shows 123gr and 130 gr loads. You will have to guess at a starting place and then watch your chronograph as you get to an upper end load. That is what I would do.

Thanks, just found it strange Barnes did not have a load with the most common powder (at least I think most common). Just didn't know if it was going to be different since its going to be longer then a lead core bullet and that's why they are in the burn rate between Varget and RL19 for most their loads.

I'd look at the Hodgdon website. Look at the 130/135 weight bullets. That'll get you a good start. They have Varget, IMR 4895 and 8208XBR load data for both weights. IMR 4895 looks like the speed winner of the three, based on published data.

*insert boilerplate warnings on reloading, starting low, bla, bla, bla.

I have shot the 127 LRX start them at least .050 off the lands. DO NOT use data from 130g lead core bullets. The Barnes bullets are harder and generate more pressure. I would look at Alliant web sight for lead core data in the 140 wieght class. My pet load for the 127g LRX is 42.6gof H4350. Also take note that the Barnes data is cooler because the OAL that Barnes uses is super short.

Alliant shoots 140g bullets up to 45.0g in 65cm with RE19, 45.8g with RE23(very close if not identical to RE22)

Honestly that's where I'd start. I would start by seating the LRX around .045"-.060" and do a 10-shot ladder. Then pick the flat spot and try a group there with the same seating depth and two groups with identical power but with the seating depth .005"-.010" longer and shorter.

I really like the LRX I have got 1-hole groups with them.

Warning! This thread is more than 4 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.