6.5 creedmoor bullet drop

valleysnyper

Hi, I bought a Ruger 6.5 creedmoor for deer hunting last spring. A friend of mine loaded 100 140 gr Sierra boat tails for me with 35 gr of IMR 4064, i thought I would use for break in and see how they shot. The rounds shot right at 1" at 100 yds do i then shot at 200 after sighting in 2" high at 100. I found the rounds hit an average of 4 inches low at 200 for a total drop of 6". All my rifles in the past have been magnum calibers, so to me this seems alittle anemic. My question is, does this sound right for this caliber ? Maybe I need a hotter load or a different one. All I know is this is not exceptable for where I hunt. Anyone have any guidance ?
Thanks, Gary

Velocity is the unknown here, I just got a reloader and will be getting a chronograph. My friend doesnt own one either, Im almost ready to trade the gun in. Ive read alot of opinions on it and it seems like everyone is pleased with it

I know at the time when he loaded it for me it was the middle of the road that was listed in his manual, as far as jump, he just set his dies to what was quoted in his msnual. That was going to be my next posted wuestion, how do I go about measuring how far off the lands the bullet is ? Sorry if I'm asking stupid questions, but my friend dousnt seem yoo concerned about any of this. Thats why I am starting to reload, I think we might be leaving alot on the table.

you are going about things all wrong. You don't just randomly pick a load out of a book, load 100 rds, and expect it to be awesome. maybe you should read up on how to do this stuff first.

get a newer manual that has the calibers you reload in it. Hornady, Barnes, Nosler, Lyman, Speer, Sierra. Most have a section that covers how to determine length/jump, pressure, and accuracy. Read it. Then read it again. And again until you understand it. There are also some good online sources....

Ok, I did get a Nosler manual with the Rockchecker kit I got. Stupid question, I will need a different manual gor each brand bullet I use ? And do you believe I should be able to do slot better than the performance I mentioned with my creedmoor ? I got that to hunt with last year and to just play with, I really want to be able to reload for my 6.5x284 Norma

No you don't need a manual for every bullet manufacturer but having several is good cross reference material.

In terms of the Creedmore load you've mentioned, MV (muzzle velocity) is critical to know in order to calculate drop correctly. The manual should get you close and you can work with that by shooting distance. A good chrono would be best.

Based off the info you provided this load would have a MV of less than 2,500 fps in a std 24" barreled rifle.

If you are zeroed @ 100 yrds your drop at 400 yrds would be around 8.5 MOA based on <2,500 fps MV

The 6.5 is a very popular and inherently accurate caliber. The Creedmore is somewhat slow in my opinion but performs well and remains super sonic beyond 1000 yds with most 140 gr bullets.

I have a friend with an RPR 6.5 that is very accurate out to 800 yrds; rings steel on first round 99.9% of the time.

To really understand your loads; a chrono, bullet comparator and some studying with a goal in mind is critical to success at the range.

Last edited:
That does seem slow, I will have to get a chrono to do this right. As I said, I am used to magnum velocities, maybe I am expecting way to much out of this round. I am used to sighting in 1.5" high at 100 yds and only being a inch or two low at 200. Where I hunt this is almost needed as shots are typically across large wooded valleys and quick, not much time for dialing or calculating for hold over for range

That does seem slow, I will have to get a chrono to do this right. As I said, I am used to magnum velocities, maybe I am expecting way to much out of this round. I am used to sighting in 1.5" high at 100 yds and only being a inch or two low at 200. Where I hunt this is almost needed as shots are typically across large wooded valleys and quick, not much time for dialing or calculating for hold over for range

Warning! This thread is more than 8 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.