6.5 Creedmoor barrel twist

TAZMAN

As some of you know, I wore out my 260 barrel on my match rifle. It's on a Winchester action and even though I have a 6.5PRC complete from SAC, and a Surgeon action 6.5 Creedmoor, I just couldn't part it out so I dropped it off to have a barrel and complete rebuild on it. The 260 Hart barrel was a 1-8 but I see some of the new rifles are 1-7.5? It currently has a 22 inch barrel but will have a 26 inch barrel to start with. I can always cut it shorter but I thought I would start there. I know it may not be fashionable to use a Winchester action for this but it has very good to me over the years.

Are you guys seeing a difference in new bullets coming on line that need the 1-7.5 twist? Been doing some research and it seems to be 50/50?

Check Berger's stability calculator. Plug in the different bullets you may want to shoot and see how stable they are at the altitude's you intend to use it. If you're never going to shoot a 150+ near sea level you won't need a 7.5.

That's what I did and other than the 150SMK I couldn't see the need for a 1-7.5 twist but I don't keep up on some of the latest and greatest bullets.

I am in Indiana so close to sea level.

Heavy monos would likely prefer 1:7.5. I ordered a new barrel from PVA and that is their new standard offering for 6.5mm bores on their Osprey blanks. That being said, I've never had issues with 1:8 up to 145 match burners / 147 ELD-M. If the plan is to run those or below, take whatever is available in the brand/contour you want. If you plan to run the 156s or heavy monos, try for the 1:7.5.

I have never had a downside to shooting a bullet that is a little light for the twist but I have had heck getting a bullet a little heavy for the twist to shoot. I would go 7.5 twist in a heartbeat if the barrel I wanted was a 7.5, if it was an 8 twist I would be fine with that too. I personally think the 6.5CM or the 260/AI are perfectly suited to 140 grain bullets so I would be good either way.