6.5 Creedmoor Barrel Life

The other option might be IMR4831 That I believe is a single base whereas H4831 I think is double. In fact I'm pretty sure that the IMR line at least use to be almost all single based beyond 700x, 800X pistol powder.
I don't know about any of the enduron powders.
I think you have that bass ackwards...H1000 is single and IMR is double
Hodgdon H1000, H4350, H4831, Varget, retumbo are single base

All the Rl powders are double based. When I tried Rl16 I could get to almost the rl 26 speeds before pressure. I couldn't get the accuracy or sd numbers until I backed off to where H4350 ran. The plus your not on the top of your pressure so you will have better brass life. If that theory is true then throat life should also be better.
TRY RELOADER 23...great ES numbers with clean necks and S&B primers

There are two proven ways to increase barrel life.
1. Buy a carbon fiber wrapped barrel. It lowers heat and heat erodes bores.
2. Coat your bullets with HBN (Hexagon Boron Nitride). This will lower friction so much that you will have to increase your powder charge to get back lost velocity. (The slick coating lets the bullet get up to speed so fast that not enough pressure builds up to get MORE speed.) Search for HBN videos on YouTube to see this explained and hoe to use HBN.

Eric B.

Number one is only partially true. Bryan Litz did a test of steel and CF barrels testing many of the manufacturer claims and found that steel barrels heat up slower than CF barrels. The same test also revealed that CF cools down quicker than steel. So then begins another debate which property characteristic is better?? Heats slower or cools faster?

Go to Youtube and search "Long Range Only, HBN" and you will see the entire explanation on why HBN saves barrels AND makes cold bore shots impact almost exactly where "warm barrel" shots land.

Also on Youtube check out the David Tubb's site for HBN and listen to why he feels it is a great bullet lubricant.

Eric B.

BTW, strangely I see no other posters commenting on HBN tumbled bullets. Is HBN that strange that nobody here uses it? Forget moly coated bullets. HBN actually does what moly coating was supposed to do.

I use hBn on all of my small caliber high velocity cartridges. Great stuff.

A list of some of the powders mentioned above and a few that work well in 6.5CM. Lower number is better.

Heat of explosion / potential kj/kg ( From Quickload )

RL16 3900
RL23 3770
RL26 3905
H4350 3760
H1000 3630 ( Too slow for 6.5CM )
IMR4451 3990
IMR4955 3950 ( This is the only powder that shot better in my 22" 6.5CM with 143 ELD-X and H4350. Velocity was 100 fps slower than H4350 but groups were in the ones.)

I think you have that bass ackwards...H1000 is single and IMR is double
Hodgdon H1000, H4350, H4831, Varget, retumbo are single base
I misunderstood what I had read about the hodgdon powders you listed my mistake. All but the enduron powders from IMR are single except the pistol/shotgun powders.

I misunderstood what I had read about the hodgdon powders you listed my mistake. All but the enduron powders from IMR are single except the pistol/shotgun powders.
yup, I had quite a time trying to edit or delete...too bad there wasnt a camera on me at the key board...lol

My first barrel only lasted about 1,200 rounds to where the accuracy was unacceptable for me, groups opened up to about 1.5 moa. I chased the lands trying to make it last, but the OAL was becoming to long for my magazines. When that barrel was new and after my load development I was able to shoot bug holes at 100 yards. That barrel was a Shilen SS heavy varmint, it was accurate but didn't last as long as I had hoped. I was shooting a bit of a hot load, 43.1 grains of H4350 140 hybrids at about 2880 fps. Also I was shooting PRS style shooting and probably not letting the barrel cool enough and on hot days. Now I'm on my 2nd barrel which is a Bartlein SS heavier profile. I reduced my load to the next node which is 41.0 grains of H4350 140 hybrids at 2700 fps, in hopes to make this barrel last more than 2,000 rounds. I'm still able to shoot bug holes. I haven't shot the new barrel at 1,000 yards yet, but I don't think the reduced velocity will effect me that much at that distance.
Now I'm not saying Shilen is a bad barrel. There's a guy who shoots in the group I was shooting with, he had a Bartlein barrel shooting 6mm Creedmoor and I don't think his barrel even made it to 1,000 rounds. I think every once in a while there's a lemon in a batch.

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.