6.5 Creed replace the .308 for hunting?

The debate will continue but experience is convincing me that the longer/smaller caliber projectiles are highly effective on large game. 270/170gr, 264/140-160gr at 2800-3000 FPS is light out from my experience. They penetrate deep and generally leave substantial exit wounds. Nothing compensates for poor shot placement. We had a coues deer disemboweled by 200gr from a 300 WM and it took a while to track it down and get another shot in it. If the smaller calibers help you place the shot more accurately and follow your shot then all the better. It doesn't really matter which cartridge you use to deliver the smaller calibers as long as they spin fast and have some velocity. Higher velocity for larger game. I wouldn't blame you for going with a 6.5, or most likely .257, but no personal experience with the 131gr (yet). Less recoil and great performance is a win.

Gentlemen ... I am up in Alberta Canada and have 3 6.5's (260 Rem, 6.5x284, and 264 Win Mag). I also have 7mm Rem mag, .308, 30.06, and 300 Wby Mag. I've shot quite a few animals with these various rifles. Some great points have been made already. I think safety considerations are prime. If you are hunting in bear country and will be by yourself ... you need minimum .30 cal and the bigger the better. Black bear are bad enough but the griz needs some real respect. I do not go hunting anywhere in griz country without my 30 cal and heavy bullets. The internet is full of stories of dead hunters taken out by grizzlies. Second issue is what are you shooting. I would not shoot at elk with a 6.5 much more than 300 yds.. I was helping a local farmer get his elk tags filled last fall and took a poke at a female elk at 600 yds with my 284. I initially wanted to shoot it in the neck to drop it but at 600 I opted for behind the shoulder. I pulled the trigger and heard the "whaaap" of the bullet broadside. The elk just stood there ... and after a few seconds turned and started walking away as I clearly was an annoyance. FYI these were the 143 ELD-x and I had just shot a WT buck a couple hours before is at 614 yds and he went nowhere. Dropped in his tracks. Shot a 6x5 mule buck the day befor with the same bullet at 485 yards and same result. By the way the locals were shooting 30.06 and we did take that cow and another bull so there was an ethical end to the day. In summary I really do love shooting the 6.5's BUT ... I would not shoot at any large game at any extended distance with a 6.5 (bear, moose, elk) 350yds max despite the videos you may watch on You Tube. I would however shoot deer at pretty much any distance I felt comfortably shooting.
Yep, I think you've got the right idea, except I'd use a 35 Whelen with Sierra 225 grain Gamekings. It is phenomenal on deer and good on elk. Second round would be a Speer 250 grain HotCor. Bear bullet from the whelen, and it has good impact/penetration for anything else.

1D86F4F3-82B5-4A92-93A0-8B1F4FDD705C.jpeg
A306CAEF-000F-4092-BFD2-681D6F117208.jpeg
Bottom line, just put the bullet where it needs to go and any cartridge is effective. Well except maybe the 6.5 creed...... it's kinda gay. Haha

I know most competition shooters have switched over to the 6.5 CM from other cartridges mainly for the much better cross-wind performance and flatter trajectory.

SO, let's say you have a nice .308 hunting rifle you like but the accuracy has dropped off and it needs re-barreling. Would you re-barrel in 6.5 Creedmoor? I face this question with my .308 Savage 99 C.

Eric B.
Sometimes accuracy will drop off because of copper fouling to,try wipeout or butches bore shine before you rebarrel,as for the 308 or 6.5 CM both are good for hunting and i have both the 308 a savage 10 and the 6.5 CM a Bergara HMR i really like both the Bergara is very accurate,try cleaning the copper first though.

Your Savage 99/308 is Iconic ...Congrats on paying off your house !!!... Like your idea of that Octagon bbl... Caliber your call , but your 90 yr Young friend has a Strong point about that 708. Cheers !

This has turned into the typical 6.5 CR why not/hell no thread...
How about a 300 Savage? Or a 257 Roberts?
Unless you like an eclectic approach to cartridge selection for such a classic rifle...it's all about what grinds your gears, enjoy!

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.