6.5 creed moor bullet for game up to elk??

With Rl17 the 127 gr can be pushed up to around 2950 fps from a 24" barrel bolt rifle. The thing to remember is to Not load mono metal bullets to close to the lands.
I get very good accuracy with TSX and TTSX bullets with over 50k jump.
Starting the 127 out at 2700 fps is fine. I would bet there is a faster accuracy node with that bullet but for normal big game hunting ranges, It's probably unnecessary.
Stonegoat ; what powder are you using?

Yes, I realize I could push it faster, but don't shoot past 500 yards, so it's not necessary. My barrel should last longer at 2715 than 2950, too lol.

I seat my bullets about 65/1000 off the lands, and am using 41.3 grains o fIMR 4350.

I just bought some Superperformance, so will try that next.

Yes, I realize I could push it faster, but don't shoot past 500 yards, so it's not necessary. My barrel should last longer at 2715 than 2950, too lol.

I seat my bullets about 65/1000 off the lands, and am using 41.3 grains o fIMR 4350.

I just bought some Superperformance, so will try that next.

Oh ya! Your brass and barrel definitely last a long time with that load. !! Especially in the 6.5 Creedmoor. The bull I posted the pic of that I shot with the 130gr TSX @2775 fps mv. Was racing me. The bullet went in along side the wind pipe and exited next to the nutsack. He turned to go, stumbled a few times and down he went. Perfect performance from the bullet. And he was at 300 lasered yards. Later confirmed. As the 130 TSX is a flat base bullet, your LRX load will have similar or greater impact velocity at 300. Unfortunately when that bullet shows up on the shelves of Sportsman's around here they get snatched up as soon as they get put out so I haven't been able to try them yet.

Oh ya! Your brass and barrel definitely last a long time with that load. !! Especially in the 6.5 Creedmoor. The bull I posted the pic of that I shot with the 130gr TSX @2775 fps mv. Was racing me. The bullet went in along side the wind pipe and exited next to the nutsack. He turned to go, stumbled a few times and down he went. Perfect performance from the bullet. And he was at 300 lasered yards. Later confirmed. As the 130 TSX is a flat base bullet, your LRX load will have similar or greater impact velocity at 300. Unfortunately when that bullet shows up on the shelves of Sportsman's around here they get snatched up as soon as they get put out so I haven't been able to try them yet.

Yes, I was lucky an found 4 boxes that someone had ordered, but decided they didn't want. I think they will be great hunting bullets for sane hunting distances.

[FONT=&quot]I actually was fortunate enough to take an elk this year with my new 6.5 Creedmoor. I just had enough time before the season started to get my new rifle out and test some hand loads. It didn't take long and I was getting 3 shot 0.75" groups at 200 yds so I practiced with that load and on the second day of the season I was able to take the 2x2 elk at 531 yards. One shot kill through both lungs. When I hit him he crunched and walked about 15 yds and dropped. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The shot passed all the way through, busted out the rib on the exit and stuck into his opposite shoulder.[/FONT] I was amazed with how well everything (Gun, Bullet) worked as advertised. I am so glad that I practiced as much as I did this year. It paid off for sure. As far as the details of the rifle: I had my Savage Model 10 .243 re-barreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" PAC-NOR 1-8" twist and Polygonal rifling. I bought a Vortex Viper 6x24 HS LR scope for the glass, excellent choice in my opinion. I used 40.0 grains of H4350 with Nosler 142 gr AccuBond Long Range bullets. It is shooting 2670 fps from the muzzle. According to my ballistics data and testing I was at about 1400 ft/lbs of energy and still at just over 2000 fps at the 531yd distance. The bullet worked amazing. I was able to retrieve the bullet in the opposite shoulder and took it home for weighing. It weighed 120gr. It held up good at 86% weight retention and expanded to about 3x diameter. 6.5Creedmoor Elk 2015.jpg

6.5 Bullet.jpg[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I actually was fortunate enough to take an elk this year with my new 6.5 Creedmoor. I just had enough time before the season started to get my new rifle out and test some hand loads. It didn't take long and I was getting 3 shot 0.75" groups at 200 yds so I practiced with that load and on the second day of the season I was able to take the 2x2 elk at 531 yards. One shot kill through both lungs. When I hit him he crunched and walked about 15 yds and dropped. [/FONT][FONT=&quot][FONT=&quot]The shot passed all the way through, busted out the rib on the exit and stuck into his opposite shoulder.[/FONT] I was amazed with how well everything (Gun, Bullet) worked as advertised. I am so glad that I practiced as much as I did this year. It paid off for sure. As far as the details of the rifle: I had my Savage Model 10 .243 re-barreled to a 6.5 Creedmoor with a 26" PAC-NOR 1-8" twist and Polygonal rifling. I bought a Vortex Viper 6x24 HS LR scope for the glass, excellent choice in my opinion. I used 40.0 grains of H4350 with Nosler 142 gr AccuBond Long Range bullets. It is shooting 2670 fps from the muzzle. According to my ballistics data and testing I was at about 1400 ft/lbs of energy and still at just over 2000 fps at the 531yd distance. The bullet worked amazing. I was able to retrieve the bullet in the opposite shoulder and took it home for weighing. It weighed 120gr. It held up good at 86% weight retention and expanded to about 3x diameter. View attachment 54585

View attachment 54586[/FONT]

Congratulations and good shooting!

The best documented post I've ever seen of the ABLR bullets performance. And with a 6.5 Creedmoor on an elk at long range to boot!

Thanks for posting.

Last edited:
I used the 130 grain Berger AR Hybrid this year on a little elk. The elk was quartering away at 175 yards, the bullet entered behind the near shoulder, shredded the lungs and lodged in the offside shoulder just under the hide. The elk took two steps and tipped over dead. The recovered bucket weighed around 50 grains.
image.jpg

Your welcome Barrelnut/North Idaho Hunter.
I was happy to see how the ABLR performed as well and glad I was able to do the testing prior to and recover the bullet to confirm all I heard about the bullet. I bought some 140 AMaX and also thought about the SST's but did not get warm fuzzies on those. The SSt's seem to blow apart and tear a lot of meat up, at least I've heard from friends that experienced them. The Gunsmith that helped me with my rifle actually recommended the AccuBond and I thought what the heck I'll try the new Long Range with better BC. Glad I did. This actually was my first Elk ever taken and ever had a shot at, and I have been trying for some time now. I only Hunt in Idaho. I have had better luck with my Mule deer hunts. I can't wait to try the Creedmoor on them next year. I passed up some big buck this year because they were out of my comfort range. Not next year though. I'll be practicing a lot next year, can't wait.
Sounds like Browninglover1 had a good shot as well. I thought of trying the Barnes TSX/TTSX and maybe trying some Reloader 17 powder for some different looks and testing info. Don't know if I want to try to fix what's not broke though?
Good hunting/shooting guys!

Your welcome Barrelnut/North Idaho Hunter.
I was happy to see how the ABLR performed as well and glad I was able to do the testing prior to and recover the bullet to confirm all I heard about the bullet. I bought some 140 AMaX and also thought about the SST's but did not get warm fuzzies on those. The SSt's seem to blow apart and tear a lot of meat up, at least I've heard from friends that experienced them. The Gunsmith that helped me with my rifle actually recommended the AccuBond and I thought what the heck I'll try the new Long Range with better BC. Glad I did. This actually was my first Elk ever taken and ever had a shot at, and I have been trying for some time now. I only Hunt in Idaho. I have had better luck with my Mule deer hunts. I can't wait to try the Creedmoor on them next year. I passed up some big buck this year because they were out of my comfort range. Not next year though. I'll be practicing a lot next year, can't wait.
Sounds like Browninglover1 had a good shot as well. I thought of trying the Barnes TSX/TTSX and maybe trying some Reloader 17 powder for some different looks and testing info. Don't know if I want to try to fix what's not broke though?
Good hunting/shooting guys!

Those LR Accubonds would be on my short list too, but here in BC, Canada, they cannot be found. Fortunately, Barnes seems to keep us Canadians well supplied with bullets.

I used the 130 grain Berger AR Hybrid this year on a little elk. The elk was quartering away at 175 yards, the bullet entered behind the near shoulder, shredded the lungs and lodged in the offside shoulder just under the hide. The elk took two steps and tipped over dead. The recovered bucket weighed around 50 grains.
View attachment 54589

That is good to know! I have a box of those for my 6.5 Grendel, and was wondering how they might perform on game. Thanks for your post.

That is good to know! I have a box of those for my 6.5 Grendel, and was wondering how they might perform on game. Thanks for your post.

It's the first animal I've ever killed with a Berger that was able to take a step. Maybe I'll consider switching? Lol

There have been a few reports on other forums with outstanding success on big game too. I've yet to hear of a lost animal with them.

Ok I'll throw my hat in this ring. I shoot a swede and and this being my third one with a better load I have the medicine your gun desires. I'm not sure if your reloading or not but I am and I would recommend the Hornady GMX in 120. Plenty enough out to 500 yards. I previously used an SST but they are a little frangible and they do the job but you might be tracking. I have never had one go past 30 yards from the shot. If you want to know how confident I am in the round well I am currently tweaking my rifle for a 700 yard Elk rifle using that very bullet..

Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.