6.5 creed moor bullet for game up to elk??

Elkwonder

I was kinda hoping to turn the 6.5creedmoor into my new "all around" hunting gun. I would limit my shots at whatever the round is capable of. It would be really nice if I could come up with a load that would work on mule deer and Elk out to 500 yards, but if I have to cut the distance to 400, than so be it. Anyhow, it looks like a lot of people like the 140 Amax, but it seems most people say NOT to use it on large game. So what would be the best round for everything from antelope to mule deer and the occasional elk? The gun would be a Ruger Hawkeye predator with a 24 inch tube and 1:8 twist.
I was also thinking about the 140 vld, but have read that they can be hard to load accurately.
Thanks for any and all help.

I would try some of that Hornady Superformance ammo. Either 129 SST or 129 Interbond. At 2950 FPS from the muzzle, might get to 500 yards on an elk. would just have to get the BC and run the numbers. But it is fast ammo for the Creed.

140 accubond would do the trick in my opinion. After seeing what the 123 SST did to a deer out of my creedmoor, im convinced w/a 140 it has enough penetration for elk.

Great rifle! Mine is the SS Hawkeye. That I chopped the barrel on. With 140 gr SSTs I'm getting 2650 fps and with 130 gr sirocco's and 130 gr TSX I'm getting 2775fps . . So far on caribou everything has exited the animals I've shot with it. 2 1 shot kills. 1 , I totally flubbed the first shot and had to shoot a finisher neck shot. So I have 3 kills for 4 shots so far. Minimum destroyed meat. On the bull I shot at 300 yards. The 130 gr TSX penetrated around 45" and exited. IMO the 127gr TTSX LR bullet will work excellently. Tho I am completely happy with the 130 gr Swift Sirocco and the 130 gr TSX.

Upper pic of the bull shot with the 130gr TSX . This pic is the small cow shot with the 130gr Swift Sirocco. Both 1 shot kills. Both fell within 20' of where the bullet hit them. The small cow was at 360 lasered yards. At the time I had ranged it with the reticle and figured 375-400 yards. Closer to 375. . I held on the reticle for 375 and down she went. She was walking from right to left. The bull had paused for a tic to look at the guy sitting next to me.

The Deer was at 225 yards, broadside, shot went high shoulder, taking out both upper shoulder blades. Deer was DRT, very minimal meat loss, the SST passed through completely, with a quarter size exit wound. I really like how it performed. Certainly not long range, but works well within its parameters.

Hornady is putting their new 143 gr bullet in 6.5 Creedmore ammo. That is what I would use for hunting. If you look at the ballistics on the ammo, it meets the 1800/1100 standard at 500+ yards.

If you reload, I would give the Barnes bullets the nod. I am working up a load currently for the 127 grn LRX. I am confident it would take an elk out to 500. Not that I ever have to shoot that far because I'm a really good hunter....:D

With Rl17 the 127 gr can be pushed up to around 2950 fps from a 24" barrel bolt rifle. The thing to remember is to Not load mono metal bullets to close to the lands.
I get very good accuracy with TSX and TTSX bullets with over 50k jump.
Starting the 127 out at 2700 fps is fine. I would bet there is a faster accuracy node with that bullet but for normal big game hunting ranges, It's probably unnecessary.
Stonegoat ; what powder are you using?

With my hunting conditions its hard to find a place where I could See game at over 400 yards and even that is stretching it. . Much more common to see game at 50 yards or less.
And that is where a bullet.like the 127 gr LRX really shines. It will hold together at close range but still expand way out there.

Last edited:
Warning! This thread is more than 9 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.