6.5 creed copper load help

Garbage in, garbage out of your ballistics app is why it is not predicting correctly. You don't need new bullets, powder, etc. since you said your loads grouped well. You need to look at each line in your ballistics app and determine what is causing the error. Maybe have a friend or your daughter look at your app with fresh eyes.
What's the garbage I'm putting in then. This isn't the only rifle Ive used this app for.

I run the 124 HH out of my 6.5x47 lapua at 2938 FPS. A Creedmoor should get you a bit more velocity than that. I don't doubt I could get 3000 FPS. But it shoots so good, I'm leaving it. I tried the 127 lrx but couldn't get it to shoot very good.

I have had to play with ballistics before to get aps to line up with what true impacts have been. How new was the gun, how clean was it? Maybe run some more across the chrono again/ try a different chrono. What was the load to see if it's even remotely close to what Barnes data showed. I would think if you have consistent groups and good es and consistent point of impacts on your zero you have a good load. So it should shoot good in general at all distances. Go through the whole gun makes sure scope is tight and tracking, clean but fouled barrel. Is the barrel broke in/ has 100-200 rounds down it? That's where I would start.

Garbage in, garbage out of your ballistics app is why it is not predicting correctly. You don't need new bullets, powder, etc. since you said your loads grouped well. You need to look at each line in your ballistics app and determine what is causing the error. Maybe have a friend or your daughter look at your app with fresh eyes.
This!

What's the garbage I'm putting in then. This isn't the only rifle Ive used this app for.
Something you put into the calculator is wrong. Whether that's BC, MV, twist, something isn't lining up, or the app you're using just isn't spitting out good corrections. 2700 seems slow for 127gr mono out of the 6.5CM, based on your charge weight it looks like it lines up though. What all information does that app take to give corrections? Bullet length, BC, what else? Where did the BC come from? Is the bullet length accurate? Was that one shot that went too high? As others have said, if you have a good load, and it's shooting well with low es it's not the bullet or load, there's something wrong in the data to make corrections wrong.

Last edited:
Something you put into the calculator is wrong. Whether that's BC, MV, twist, something isn't lining up, or the app you're using just isn't spitting out good corrections. 2700 seems slow for 127gr mono out of the 6.5CM, based on your charge weight it looks like it lines up though. What all information does that app take to give corrections? Bullet length, BC, what else? Where did the BC come from? Is the bullet length accurate. Was that one shot that went too high? As others have said, if you have a good load, and it's shooting well with low es it's not the bullet or load, there's something wrong in the data to make corrections wrong.
X2

I've had great results with the 127LRX with my 260 Rem (what people used to get before the 6.5 Creed). Although BC will vary some with the rifle and environmentals, a G1 .228 or G7 .446 work well for me when running the bullet at ~2820 fps. If you have an Applied ballistics calculator, they do have a custom curve for the 127 LRX.

You could have entered many mistakes, so you need to read every line for an error. For example, what BC value did you select (G1, G7, RA4, GA?). Don't quickly scan a page, patiently stop on each line and if you don't know what it means, figure it out before proceeding. Only you or a friend can see what you entered into your ballistics app.

Based on everything listed here I think I'll adjust the speed up. I've used this app with good success. I dont disagree that something is off. I had this same rifle set up for 143 ELDX's and a Leupold CDS turret. I could give my 12 yo a box of reloads and a range finder and he could bang away out to 650 no problem. I use this app with little adjustment to help me shoot out to 1400 recently with my 7mag.

127 LRX and 40 gr of H4350 has dropped many hogs for me in my 6.5cm, and none have gone far. I think the furthest one so far made it 10 yards. As others have said, I do find I consistently leave some speed on the bench for my most accurate Barnes loads, but this particular load shoots .5 MOA consistently at the range (prone/bipod shots). My home range is limited to 700 yards, but this load maintains accuracy out to that distance and matches my dope. I wouldn't stretch this particular load beyond 600 yards on an animal, as I wouldn't trust the expansion beyond that point with the velocity I'm getting. But it shoots great and I've got other rifles/loads that are more effective out that far.

I read a lot of hate on this site for Barnes (not to mention the 6.5cm) and love for Hammers, but I get consistent accuracy from Barnes in all my rifles and I've yet to see any animal I've used em on in real life really run anywhere -my 30-06 loaded with Barnes TTSX for elk/deer gets great results, no tracking required so far on any of those either. I'd certainly use this 6.5 load on deer, elk, or bear. No hate on Hammers, by the way, just working up my first load with them in a different rifle right now, so I don't really have experience with them yet, hoping to see great things. But I agree look at your ballistics calculator. If you're getting tight groups, I'd think the LRX load should serve you well. It shoots better groups than any other bullet I've tried in my 6.5CM, whether copper or lead.

As others have stated, if the Barnes 127g LRX is accurate and SD's are acceptable then your good to go. Trust your actual drops at distance vs. ballistic calculator. Tune your calculator to your actual drops. As for hating coppers, you obviously haven't used modern coppers. If you stay within stated impact velocities the copper will perform properly at any shot angle, this equals more shot opportunities. I love Barnes, really loving the McGuire Ballistics "Copper Rose" and to date have killed most with Hammers 124g HH (6.5 CM).
My pet load:
Rifle: Weatherby 6.5 CM Outfitter, 22" barrel w/1:8 twist
Bullet: 124g Hammer Hunter
Brass: Norma
Primer: WLR
Powder: 38.7g VARGET
OAL: 2.994"
Velocity: 2,868 fps.
SD's @ ~ 8 fps.
Accuracy: True, honest 3/4" moa at 100 yards all day long. This has held true out to 600 yards when conditions are good. Haven't shot this rifle extensively beyond 600.