6.5 CM vs 7MM-08 head to head ...

My son shot his 6x6 Bull Elk this Fall with, a Tikka T3X, 7mm-08 using, the fairly high BC, 150 grain ELD-X at, 2,850 FPS, Bullet Had good penetration/ Mushroom, at 250 yards. His 7mm-08 has LOW recoil, shoots about, 1/2 MOA ( 2 3/4" 640 yard groups,.. over a Pack, Prone ) We Hunt with Packs on, use Kifaru Gun Bearers to carry Rifles W/ Trekking Poles to get into, the back Country. We use shooting Sticks when sitting with, our Packs supporting the Rifles "Toe" for a VERY steady, shooting platform, when on a Slope ! I couldn't find a "Deal" on a Lefty, 7mm-08 so ended up with, a "closeout" Tikka T3, SS lite, in .270 WSM, I'm happy tho, as it too, works fine, AGAIN, with fairly LOW recoil !
We love our 7.5 Pound Rifles and feel that, they are "enough Gun" to 650-700 yards.
150 grain bullet 2850 FPS is the real deal on a short action ! To me that having your cake and eating it too!

That was my point. if we are going to compare one cartridge to another, It should be the same caliber, the same case capacity, the same SAMMI pressures and the same barrel length. If any of these parameters are different, then it is not a fair comparison. under certain conditions a lessor cartridge can be made to out perform a cartridge with more potential.

As you know, a well designed cartridge will out perform a poorly designed one because of efficiency with everything else being equal.

I have first hand experience with this because the 260 Rem with the same bullet, pressure and barrel length is almost identical to the 6.5 CM. The 260 AI can add more that 100 ft/sec to the 260 with little or no additional powder. The 260 AI is very close to the same performance as a 7/08 . and the 7/08 AI adds 100+ ft/sec to the 7/08/ all very small changes in case design and capacity. your SST's are a case in point.

The point is, any change to any comparable cartridge renders it a poor comparison in my opinion. I personally don't like most comparisons because they can be skewed to make one cartridge look better than the other even though they are equal.

I don't try to justify any cartridge by down rating another. I want what's best for me, in it,s intended use no mater what it is called. It is very hard to come up with a fair comparison of almost anything because the nature of something with a different name means that it is not the same.

Be happy with what you have and enjoy.

J E CUSTOM

Jerry,

You know I have the utmost on you and value your input throughout the years. I fully understand what you're saying but the article is about making a choice from the two, "For the hunter, which of these cartridges represents the wisest choice? And why should the hunter prefer one over the other?" Even if the article is between 6.5 CM and .260 Rem, people will still pick one over other even if one has the advantage over the other. Which is great because the end-users still have the final choice and decision, regardless how it is rationalized.

Cheers!

Ed

I have a 22-250 that needs a new barrel and have been wanting to convert it to the creed or 7mm-08 for several years now. No matter how many articles I read, I just can decide which one to choose. From what I hear, you can't really go wrong with either one.
Choose the 6.5 Creedmoor and buy my barrel blank I've been wanting to sell.

Jerry,

You know I have the utmost on you and value your input throughout the years. I fully understand what you're saying but the article is about making a choice from the two, "For the hunter, which of these cartridges represents the wisest choice? And why should the hunter prefer one over the other?" Even if the article is between 6.5 CM and .260 Rem, people will still pick one over other even if one has the advantage over the other. Which is great because the end-users still have the final choice and decision, regardless how it is rationalized.

Cheers!

Ed

No problem. :) I was venting because of all the comparisons that we see these days that realy don't matter as far performance. they are just preference.

J E CUSTOM

Here comes the rant!

I tire of articles like this. No, I'm sorry, I was wrong, I loathe them. I see the title, and think that this could be an interesting article. Then I read it, and feel an emptiness in my brain and bowels. The author has said nothing that common sense wouldn't tell you. Then I look at the byline, where I

To me I find the 7mm-08 one of the most worthless chamberings possible, it's not great for anything and marginal for everything. To me it's a larger price in recoil for less SD, more drift than shooting a 6.5 or 6mm which will do everything better IMO. I'll take a heavy 6mm bullet in a 243 any day of the week over anything in the 7mm-08, there are few chamberings that I really loath, this is one and the 7 Mag is the other!

Ok think that should cover the bases, keep in mind this is only my opinion, freak out as you see fit!!:)

oops. I guess i hit the wrong key. Here I go again.

Then I look at the byline, where I should have looked first, to see who wrote it. If the author's name is followed by a title such as "field editor" of "dog editor" or "BS edtor", then that person is owned by the periodical, and is forced to produce words to fill space on a monthly basis. Relevance, quality, accuracy (fake news), it doesn't matter, fill the space. If there is no title after the name, I have hope. In this case, I was disappointed.

Bottom line was: If you hunt large animals, use a large cartrige. DUH, common sense. Another one that always irks me is comparing sectional density between calibers, using bullets of the same weight. By definition, the smaller caliber will always have a higher SD. DUH, common sense.

If you are looking for a new rifle, set your criteria. What is the primary use. Is weight a factor? Range, etc. Just don't be swayed by something being popular. Tomorrow, another cartrige will be more popular.

To me I find the 7mm-08 one of the most worthless chamberings possible, it's not great for anything and marginal for everything. To me it's a larger price in recoil for less SD, more drift than shooting a 6.5 or 6mm which will do everything better IMO. I'll take a heavy 6mm bullet in a 243 any day of the week over anything in the 7mm-08, there are few chamberings that I really loath, this is one and the 7 Mag is the other!

Ok think that should cover the bases, keep in mind this is only my opinion, freak out as you see fit!!:)

Wow - I guess that about covers the 7mms! Lol

I agree with the 6.5s and 6mms over the 7mm08 tho:)

Warning! This thread is more than 6 years ago old.
It's likely that no further discussion is required, in which case we recommend starting a new thread. If however you feel your response is required you can still do so.